CA/SA in Fl

kgby13

Candiru
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Texas
as going to post this in General but I cant get in for some reason. I am planning a fishing trip to Florida for next year and have a few questions. How does one keep a fish alive for a long car trip? Is there any laws I need to be aware of before I try to bring back some cichlids caught there? Where would one catch the most types of cichlids?

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
no idea where fish are in florida never fished there i know there are a few rivers with tiger shovelnose catfish there and scatterd ponds with cichlids in them

i would check the regulations of the states you pass threw and see whether its illegal to transport exotic fish i don't think you would get in trouble for takeing exotic fish out of local water ways but transporting them threw certain states may be a problem

keeping them alive isn't to hard you will need a few coolers to keep them in i would check the weather for cast to see how warm it is there and in the places your staying at unless your driveing straight threw and see what them temp is like most likely you won't need a heater but some kind of airation will be needed really just keep the water at a good temp and make sure the water is airated also there are products mainly for bait fish but they can be added to lessen stress on the fish just get them home as quick as you can really

DarthV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Canada
Long car trip? Could always put larger fish right into a cooler... add a lighter ac adapter + air pump + sponge filter and it's pretty easy :) Bring some dechlorinator and maybe an ammonia/nitrite remover...and you can do some water changes if you're stopping at a hotel overnight!

I brought a cooler with 4x 4-5" pearsei from Chicago to home in Atlantic Canada... 1400 miles and a 3 day/2 night trip. Not to mention the time sitting in the cooler after buying them at ACA before starting the long trip home!

I have a coleman cooler that's been 'plumbed' for air tubing. Works quite well.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
DarthV;1548834; said:
Long car trip? Could always put larger fish right into a cooler... add a lighter ac adapter + air pump + sponge filter and it's pretty easy :) Bring some dechlorinator and maybe an ammonia/nitrite remover...and you can do some water changes if you're stopping at a hotel overnight!

I brought a cooler with 4x 4-5" pearsei from Chicago to home in Atlantic Canada... 1400 miles and a 3 day/2 night trip. Not to mention the time sitting in the cooler after buying them at ACA before starting the long trip home!

I have a coleman cooler that's been 'plumbed' for air tubing. Works quite well.
Sorry for the derail, but was wondering DarthV, What paperwork did you need to cross the border. Is it the same to bring fish into the states when driving yourself vs shipping?

Again sorry for the derail.

kgby13

Candiru
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Texas
Dont know exactly how long the trip is going to be. We will be going by car though. I hate flying. Ive got all of those items but the cooler.

DarthV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Canada
Bringing fish out of the US to Canada yourself is pretty easy. Just have a species list and just make sure you're not brining in any restricted species. For personal use, you just end up paying federal/provincial taxes on them. Since I was in the US for over a week, I was allowed to bring back $700 tax free. We've ordered cichlids from Rapps and had them delivered just on the other side of the border (Maine) and picked them up from there. Only had to deal with 1 hassle (last summer's order, newbie Can Customs agent faxed a list off to Ottawa to find out if any species were on CITES lists).

Bringing fish INTO the US is another thing entirely. I brought 4 P. friedericsthalli with me on the way to ACA and got grilled by US Customs for 30-45mins. Ended up listing them as a gift (was giving them to a friend near Detroit). Don't think I'd want to go through that hassle again!

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
DarthV;1548992; said:
Bringing fish out of the US to Canada yourself is pretty easy. Just have a species list and just make sure you're not brining in any restricted species. For personal use, you just end up paying federal/provincial taxes on them. Since I was in the US for over a week, I was allowed to bring back $700 tax free. We've ordered cichlids from Rapps and had them delivered just on the other side of the border (Maine) and picked them up from there. Only had to deal with 1 hassle (last summer's order, newbie Can Customs agent faxed a list off to Ottawa to find out if any species were on CITES lists).

Bringing fish INTO the US is another thing entirely. I brought 4 P. friedericsthalli with me on the way to ACA and got grilled by US Customs for 30-45mins. Ended up listing them as a gift (was giving them to a friend near Detroit). Don't think I'd want to go through that hassle again!
Good ole US Restrictions! :screwy:

$$mok3d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
South Florida
Most if not all the canals here in south Florida have many types of cichlids. I was catching bait for snook fishing today (Mayans and spotted Tilapia) when I pulled in a few unexpected fish. I was astonished when I found a Salvini cichlid on the end of my line. Some irresponsible fish keeper introduced these fish to my neighborhood canal and they have spawned a new generation. I'll take some pics tomorrow when I catch some more bait. I guess it beats paying $15 each for one at a pet store. I have also caught some Flowerhorns and Jags in the Griffin canal.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
uhh more introduced species in our waterways damn hippies letting the fishys go free.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store