Camera records feral cats attacking endangered Hawaiian birds

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
.... another reason to take a step back and really think about what are we "humans" doing to augment these issues is where we should start. Killing feral cats is no solution.
Why not? It's a start if nothing else, if it gets the ball rolling for the next generation to start to care then why not go ahead and get some people fired up? The angry people are oftentimes the ones who do something about an issue.

We started the problem a long time ago, it's never going to be nonexistent, I believe it can be managed but lots of invasives are here to stay, hogs, cats, rats, pythons, koi, they're all here to stay. How we manage the problem is up to you and I. I no longer hesitate to run over a cat and as a result my front air dam is missing but I know a lot of people have very strong opinions on what needs to be done.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Here are some solutions.
1 We can let PETA take care of the feral cats and other domestics. Oh wait scrap my thoughts PETA would be the same as killing them ourselves. Killing these feral domestic animals is the only way to get rid of the problem. If we catch them where are we going to take them that will not just cause another problem. The hogs and chickens could be used to feed the homeless as could some of the other creatures. Yes humans caused this issue but sitting back and saying don't kill the problem while the native species go extinct is just plain stupid. Dare I say it probably stupider than letting the ferals free in the first place. There will always be cats and many of the other feral animals but once something is extinct it is gone. Here is a real shocker that means they were all killed too.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I now have a way better idea for the cat problem we can just release millions of mice to feed the cats so they will leave the birds alone. This solution should surely make everyone happy as long as no mice are harmed in the procedure.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Here are some solutions.
1 We can let PETA take care of the feral cats and other domestics. Oh wait scrap my thoughts PETA would be the same as killing them ourselves. Killing these feral domestic animals is the only way to get rid of the problem. If we catch them where are we going to take them that will not just cause another problem. The hogs and chickens could be used to feed the homeless as could some of the other creatures. Yes humans caused this issue but sitting back and saying don't kill the problem while the native species go extinct is just plain stupid. Dare I say it probably stupider than letting the ferals free in the first place. There will always be cats and many of the other feral animals but once something is extinct it is gone. Here is a real shocker that means they were all killed too.
Well said.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Animalia
The longest cat fence in the U.S. was just built on a Hawaiian volcano

By Karin Brulliard November 30, 2016
A wildlife rehab center confirms that cats are killers]

spent nearly four years flying in people and materials to build the cat-proof barrier, a 6-foot-tall fence topped with a curved section that even the wiliest kitty is not supposed to be able to scale. It’s the longest anti-cat fence in the United States, and it encloses 600 acres of 8,000- to 10,000-foot-high terrain that petrels, also known as ‘u’au, now view as choice breeding territory.

[New Zealand vows to kill every weasel, rat and feral cat on its soil]

Hawaiian petrels are seafaring birds that arrive at Mauna Loa to build nests in deep lava crevices in April. In June, females lay just one egg. The egg hatches in August, and the chick does not fly away until November.

Animalia newsletter

Animals, people and the world they share.

have been caught on video doing.

The barrier is the latest example of a “conservation fence,” which is meant to protect wildlife from attackers (while also not angering cat-defenders too much). Hawaii is home to a handful, but the leaders in this method are Australia and New Zealand, where cats and other invasive predators have helped wipe out so many species that the governments have declared all-out war on them. One such fence in Australia, for example, is 26 miles long.

A previous version of this article incorrectly reported that there are about 75 breeding pairs of petrels on the Big Island. It has been corrected to reflect that that is the number of pairs in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Austrailia definetly knows what happens when things get out of hand. They have trouble with more than just feral predators. When will the bunny huggers learn that when ferals are wiped out natural balance can return.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Austrailia definetly knows what happens when things get out of hand. They have trouble with more than just feral predators. When will the bunny huggers learn that when ferals are wiped out natural balance can return.
Agreed and good question.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store