Can a fish knock itself out?

Jim3h

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, Im wondering this because I walked down into my room and looked into my tank and my tinfoil barb flipped out, he's still semi-new and he bounced off every side of my fish tank and floated up, I though it died but within a minute he started to breathe again and got back to swimming around, is my fish ok?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
They definitely can. I believe they can have a concussion similar to that in a human. They can also suffer brain damage, so I'd keep an eye on your fish's behavior.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Be careful my gt swam head first into a piece of would and he no has little spasms once every so often which I believe is due to the head injury he received.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
yup fish get head trauma in tanks all the time. could be temp could be permanent and everything in between.
My gars would smash themselves all the time. I couldnt take it no more. Got them a black hard plastic pond and they have not hit themselves since

FishNovice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
so cal
Hey guys, Im wondering this because I walked down into my room and looked into my tank and my tinfoil barb flipped out, he's still semi-new and he bounced off every side of my fish tank and floated up, I though it died but within a minute he started to breathe again and got back to swimming around, is my fish ok?

Crazy! I guess it's like a bird flying into a window, but I don't really see fish doing it. Is it just barbs that have this problem?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My old pink tail chalceus got spooked a few days after I moved to my new house, came home to find him paralysed on the floor but otherwise not a single scratch.

My theory is that he either knocked himself out from the impact or broke his back. after a few minutes he wasn't breathing, I tried everything to bring him back from methods I have read on here and he was gone. Its a shame he was a really nice chunky one around 8"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store