Can espom salt/high temperature cure all diseases/parasites?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Are there any diseases/parasites that cannot be solved with epsom salt and high temperature? (ex: fin rot, tapeworms, hookworms, ick, HITH/hole in the head disease, dropsy, bloat, etc.)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/list-of-treatments-and-contraindications.295289/

You can find epsom salt in this post. As you can see it works on a few things but it's nothing remotely like a panacea.

Heat actually increases the virulence of many things (e.g., bacteria.) In the case of internal parasites, it would likely kill the host before the parasite would die.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/freshwater-disease-guide.168667/

Here's a general list of common conditions / diseases for aquarium fish. Epson salt and / or heat is rarely prescribed, so you might start with this list (minus 1 or 2 items) as those things not covered by heat and/or epsom salt.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Heat actually makes some bacteria more virulent.
Although we use heat to speed up the life cycle of ick, bacteria such as columnaris reproduce faster at water temps above 82'F making the infections worse , more deadly.
When I worked as a microbiologist we used incubators at temps in the 90s to grow pathogens cultures.
So turning up the temp when a fish appears sick is often a death sentence.

Reactions: BichirMohawk

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Heat actually makes some bacteria more virulent.
Although we use heat to speed up the life cycle of ick, bacteria such as columnaris reproduce faster at water temps above 82'F making the infections worse , more deadly.
When I worked as a microbiologist we used incubators at temps in the 90s to grow pathogens cultures.
So turning up the temp when a fish appears sick is often a death sentence.
Turning the heat up to 100° is almost guaranteed to kill almost any parasite or pathogen though.

Celsius though...

And your fish...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Short answer is no, long answer is noooooooooooooo. Epsom salt can help but it isn't a cure all.. :oops:

Gonzomagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2017
I was under the understanding that Epsom salt acts as a laxative, so internal parasites, or bladder issues it can help with. With external parasite I would have thought actual aquarium salt is better suited. i.e. I had ich, and I used aquarium salt (with temp rise), and it deffo worked or helped at least

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Magnesium sulphate aka epsom salt does act as a purgative agent, and as such can help assist the purging of internal parasites and/or worms. It has also been used to safely eradicate Spironucleus vortens, one of the most common internal parasites in the ornamental fish trade.
But a cure all - not even close.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
LIke other said with heat, no. I used to be fond of having higher temp for my water as it made my fish more active. Since my breakout of columnaris I keep the temp always lower now to help prevent another such breakout.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store