Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Don’t silver arowanas max out at 4 feet in the wild? I can’t remember if it was 4 or 5.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So is this the rule?
If an aro can just about turn in a tank that is not as wide as its length and make the turn look comfortable, its a good home.
Hope not too many of you are comfortable with that.
Agreed.
Minimum tank size is 1.5x in width and 2x length so adult silver aro could be 4' tank size would be 8'x3'. But if you have seen a mystical unicorn 3.5'+ arowana you'll realize that 8x3 is to small for that fish. You will need a pond long term.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
There are always exemptions to rules and loopholes though stanz, what about ropefish?

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
shouldnt the same go for anyone keeping scleropages in 30ish wide tanks ?

Those photos are what anyone familiar with that genus would consider fake news. lol The photos were all taken with the fish held out at arms length, a common deceptive technique used by fisherman who like to give the impression that their fish are MONSTERS, when in reality they are just average mature specimens.

Having said that, the largest aro (Scleropages formosus) that I have personally seen, was 31" TL, and that was taken with a tape measure, so yeah, while that fish could turn around without any issue, even a 550 gallon tank that it was in seemed kinda small.

I could be wrong about this as my experience with silvers is limited, but overall I would say that they are generally more active, and often more skittish, than adult Asian aros. That would/could make a huge difference in tank width and length. I have never seen an adult Asian aro that zooms around the tank at high speeds, even when in massive public display systems. Unless really spooked, they tend to mellow out with age.

I also don't think that a 240 gallon is ideal for an adult S. formosus.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Those photos are what anyone familiar with that genus would consider fake news. lol The photos were all taken with the fish held out at arms length, a common deceptive technique used by fisherman who like to give the impression that their fish are MONSTERS, when in reality they are just average mature specimens.

Having said that, the largest aro (Scleropages formosus) that I have personally seen, was 31" TL, and that was taken with a tape measure, so yeah, while that fish could turn around without any issue, even a 550 gallon tank that it was in seemed kinda small.

I could be wrong about this as my experience with silvers is limited, but overall I would say that they are generally more active, and often more skittish, than adult Asian aros. That would/could make a huge difference in tank width and length. I have never seen an adult Asian aro that zooms around the tank at high speeds, even when in massive public display systems. Unless really spooked, they tend to mellow out with age.

I also don't think that a 240 gallon is ideal for an adult S. formosus.
I didn't notice the arowana were held at arms length until you mentioned it. Silver Arowana are Osteoglossum bicirrhosum, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference or not, but I think that since the Osteoglossum bicirrhosum get bigger, it would mean the tank has to be even bigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: twentyleagues
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store