Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I've seen stunted ones returned to fish stores that came out of tanks roughly that size. Humped backed and looking very pityful.

Op
You are going to be more than fully stocked with the stock you already have.
Forget the arowana.
I think that due to poor genetics similar to PLJ. Ive seen some of those humped back aros in big tanks with 3’ wide and in some silver aro that are short body. Not saying it cant happen tho.

Reactions: jaws7777

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Just a quick question, have anyone here ever seen a 4’ silver arowana? Not in a pond or public aquarium but in a fish tank? Or better yet has anyone ever seen or grew a 4’ silver aro in a 240g tank?
Largest I saw was a 3 foot one at the pet store I worked at, someone brought it in and we had it in our 240 set up for larger cichlids (8+ inches). The owner said he had it in his 300 gallon but that his wife made him get rid of it because it killed one of her favorite fish. The arowana was a real pig so we ended up selling it for $100 just so we don't have to feed it and clean up after it because it produced A LOT of waste.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Largest I saw was a 3 foot one at the pet store I worked at, someone brought it in and we had it in our 240 set up for larger cichlids (8+ inches). The owner said he had it in his 300 gallon but that his wife made him get rid of it because it killed one of her favorite fish. The arowana was a real pig so we ended up selling it for $100 just so we don't have to feed it and clean up after it because it produced A LOT of waste.
Does the 3’ aro turn perfect without having a hard time in a 2’ wide tank?

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I've had several Argenteas in the past few years. My experience with them they have been mostly peaceful. I have a 6incher that lives with 2 raphael cats and 2 featherfin synodontis, he doesn't attack them but he kinda shoo them of when I'm feeding. The others I've kept were always with other cichlids. My thinking is that they do well with other cichlids because they have similar behavior, but the Arowanas talk a completely different language

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I currently have a silver in a 240 mixed sa/ca tank as a temp grow out. I was a bit conflicted myself, as long as you got some open top water and good hiding places you should be fine for a bit. In my opinion arrowanas should be in a minimally stocked 96x36x36 (or greater) as a perm home. They need space to be themselves. I was reluctant to buy him but he was in bad shape and I was planning to fix him up and rehome. He has grown on me and my new tank is Going to be built around him. My wife is equally annoyed at us both.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just a quick question, have anyone here ever seen a 4’ silver arowana? Not in a pond or public aquarium but in a fish tank? Or better yet has anyone ever seen or grew a 4’ silver aro in a 240g tank?
Agreed: I would wager it's very difficult to find a 4' silver arowana in any private tank, let alone a 240g -- because they mostly die and/or are so stressed they jump out of the tank long before reaching 4' -- the smaller, more cramped the tank, the more likely an aro is to jump out.

A 240g should be fine for a year or two (if not overstocked with other fish), but it will be way too small long-term if OP wants to see the best in his fish.

I've had a lot of big dogs in my life -- even though they were 4-6 ft. long sure they would fit in 3 foot wide cages all day curled up if anyone was cruel enough to keep them in such -- I personally wouldn't. Yes my fish are in glass boxes instead of lakes/rivers, but the least I can do is give them some reasonable space to move around -- it's not just a physical thing, there are mental considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store