Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I have a ~1000L (240ish gal) south/central american setup. I'd like to have your guys opinion, would a silver arowana work here?
Stocking:
2 Vieja Argentea ≤ 10cm
3 Severums ≤ 12cm
5 Silver dollars (largest≤8cm)
1 Adonis pleco ≤ 20cm
1 Clouded Archer, not sure about size

I'm mostly worried from the Argenteas, they're mostly peaceful but they hold the highest ranks. They haven't killed anything before but they will attack if someone tries to take their place. I've never kept an arowana before so I've been lead to the idea that they are fragile and finicky. And yeah the tank has one big piece of grape wood that spans most of the length of the tank. My store is offering 15ish cm albinos for a reasonable price, they also accept dry food

*Edit: Dimensions are L*W*H = 260cm*50cm*60cm

Reactions: Loco Lucas

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You can wait for more experienced Aro keepers to to chime in but i was always under the impression they need at least 2.5 - 3’ width to live long term...

As for aggression i think that comes with age and size...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You can wait for more experienced Aro keepers to to chime in but i was always under the impression they need at least 2.5 - 3’ width to live long term...

As for aggression i think that comes with age and size...
Its probably doable for a while. Silvers get 4' long though. That tank wont last it more then 2 years.
Personally would pass on the Arowana for 2 reasons .
1. Aquarium size too small for a fully mature Aro.
2. The Argenteas too aggressive for a Arowana especially a young one.
Agree with the others. If it’s short term then yes.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I only kept 1 argentea but he was a complete nightmare once it hit about 5 or 6 inches

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Just a quick question, have anyone here ever seen a 4’ silver arowana? Not in a pond or public aquarium but in a fish tank? Or better yet has anyone ever seen or grew a 4’ silver aro in a 240g tank?
I've seen stunted ones returned to fish stores that came out of tanks roughly that size. Humped backed and looking very pityful.

Op
You are going to be more than fully stocked with the stock you already have.
Forget the arowana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store