Can I leave UV on 24/7?

jubsy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
My ray tank has an UV system and I believe it makes water crystal clear. It's on 24/7. Has anyone left your UV on all the time with negative effect on ray? I know UV makes water clean, but too much of anything might not be good. Thanks.

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
not recommend 24/7 kills the macro nutruients in the water table run it on a timer when the lights go out have it turn on for the night i have three set up this way works good for me.

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Ok I know nothing about UV's...as I understand it makes your water clear? How is that, and what kind of setup you need for this??

My water in my main tank looks like it's been taken straight from the amazon river or something haha...it's nice and yellowish, which I think makes it more realistic, but I have a lot of stuff moving in the water...waste and such. For some reason my 2 canisters don't seem to pick it up. Maybe a UV could help?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I run constant UV on all the tanks set up with it here at the zoo. I even run one on my 90 gal at home.

UV is only effective with contact time. The flow should be slow enough to allow sufficient time for the light to do it's job.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
whats the point in turning it off parasites dont sleep

they are ment to be left on 24/7 unless you are try to save money on the tube life :D

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
T1KARMANN said:
whats the point in turning it off parasites dont sleep

they are ment to be left on 24/7 unless you are try to save money on the tube life :D

uv sterlizes water and removes macro nutrients from the water wich is needed for plants and fish also trust me your better to use on a 12 hr schedule i use three in my tanks works great to clear up cloudness from the begining of green water and kills g/w

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
DavidW said:
to get technical....
" how long should a UV sterilizer be run to sterilize all the water in a body of water?"

answer is formulaic:
T=a(G/F)

T= hours of sterilization
G= net gallons in tank
F= sterilization flowrate (in gallons per hour)
a=purity coefficient ( how clear is the water)

100% of the water can NEVER be sterilized..

as most of us have installed our UV filters in line (incorrectly) and have excessive flow rates, it is better to leave it on all the time, unless cycling a new tank or medicating
:)chapter: 'Analytic theory of ultra violet sterilizers"...
from " aquatic systems engineering by PR Escobal

I always use the self contained units with their own pump for that reason slow is the only way they work and the theory behind using it at night is fish excrete waste during the day when they eat so the plants have some nutruients to absorb and the 14 hour period i run at night clears the water up like glass and does save on the bulb life can get more then a year out of it i'll dig up the thread if you would like to read some aquascapers real world experiance on timer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store