Can I leave UV on 24/7?

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
In the last section, we saw that mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp's glass tube are excited by electrons flowing in an electrical current. This electrical current is something like the current in an ordinary wire, but it passes through gas instead of through a solid. Gas conductors differ from solid conductors in a number of ways.
In a solid conductor, electrical charge is carried by free electrons jumping from atom to atom, from a negatively-charged area to a positively-charged area. As we've seen, electrons always have a negative charge, which means they are always drawn toward positive charges. In a gas, electrical charge is carried by free electrons moving independently of atoms. Current is also carried by ions, atoms that have an electrical charge because they have lost or gained an electron. Like electrons, ions are drawn to oppositely charged areas.

To send a current through gas in a tube, then, a fluorescent light needs to have two things:

Free electrons and ions
A difference in charge between the two ends of the tube (a voltage)
Generally, there are few ions and free electrons in a gas, because all of the atoms naturally maintain a neutral charge. Consequently, it is difficult to conduct an electrical current through most gases. When you turn on a fluorescent lamp, the first thing it needs to do is introduce many new free electrons from both electrodes.

my understanding is the wire heats up much slower and coler thats why they last so long usally in years of being turned on and off

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
Disadvantages

UV kills good nitrifying bacteria so must be shut off during spring to allow bacteria to get started and whenever there is a die off of good bacteria.
Kills good insect larvae, tadpoles, fry, daphnia, paramecium, other microorganisms, and whoever gets sucked in. This is the main reason I do not have it since I want all the small animals for a balanced natural pond. Providing good mechanical filtration before the UV prevents the larger of these animals from being zapped.
Initial start up of the UV would result in death of algae that would decompose creating a decrease in oxygen and an increase in hydrogen sulfide. Also, without the algae's removal of nitrate, a nitrate spike would result in a fast growth of attached algas like hair algae which could clog filters.
Death of microorganisms and insects deprives higher organisms (your fish) of a vital natural food which improves their overall health and breeding.
UV's cost a lot of money initially ($150 to $500), a lot to run (electricity), and a lot for replacement bulbs.
The higher visibility of the fish also makes them easier targets for predators such as herons and raccoons.
Has little or no effect on attached algae like green algae and hair algae.

no kidding id be typing all night lmao anyways i still love em and use em on my show fish tanks but its fun supporting a good debate

tyson

Stingray Master
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Tropical Island
arowanaclub.com
Personally for me, I don't turn on my UV light 24/7 as I believe your fishes will be dependent on it as its environment is free from parasites. Like anything good or bad, moderation is the best way to go about it. A good guide line in to mimic nature. (Sun rise / Sun set)

Like Chemotherapy, it kills both good and bad bacteria, creating an artificial environment. Should your UV light ever break down, and if it falls on a public holiday, Good luck to you!

Currently, I have my UV light set on a timer which turns on 3 hours per day from 0300-0600. Pitch black darkest is where your UV light works best, with maximum treatment.

Sure hope it share some inside into UV light usage. :) :)

jubsy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Wow, I can't believe how much information I get from members here. Thanks everybody, especially DawidW and fishnutham. Your debate show me every angles around UV filter. I think I will leave it on 24/7 as I always do because my rays are still juvinile and I use sand bottom tank. I can keep good bacteria in fluidized bed and canister filters and get rid of bad harmful bacteria in the water. But I might get it on timer when my rays grow larger and stronger. Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store