Can Oscars eat fruits??

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
That is an interestingly elongated Oscar. Haven't seen one quite like that. Looks like a wild type coloration too?
I have a friend who feeds his cichlids dogfood, as he has tons of large cichlids and gets the dogfood very cheap. His fish seem to do well on it actually, though his water is always a little cloudy. I don't think it is the cleanest food. I would recommend just getting a good pellet like Hikari Cichlid gold, which isn't all that expensive.
How old are his cichlids?

Ewoodjojo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Yorkshire
Don't feed the Oscar dog food, or really any other terrestrial based foods. Think about what the Oscar would eat in the wild. A good pellet is all you really need, with occasional frozen foods as treats. I recommend NLS over all other foods.

It sounds like your Oscar might be "pouting" as they're known to do this. They can be moody things. I would test your water as a precaution though. Would you mind me asking what size tank you have him in? Tank mates? Really cool looking Oscar!
They are in a 5 foot jewel bow fronted tank, his tank meats are 2 tiger oscars ( Jackson & Michael) 2 Severums (Itchy & Scratchy) a pleco (James Dyson) and a loach ( Steve) had them about a year now and they are doing great, it’s just Oskar that seems to mope when my sons not around, like he’s brooding lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ewoodjojo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Yorkshire
Don't feed the Oscar dog food, or really any other terrestrial based foods. Think about what the Oscar would eat in the wild. A good pellet is all you really need, with occasional frozen foods as treats. I recommend NLS over all other foods.

It sounds like your Oscar might be "pouting" as they're known to do this. They can be moody things. I would test your water as a precaution though. Would you mind me asking what size tank you have him in? Tank mates? Really cool looking Oscar!
They are in a 5 foot jewel bow fronted tank, his tank meats are 2 tiger oscars ( Jackson & Michael) 2 Severums (Itchy & Scratchy) a pleco (James Dyson) and a loach ( Steve) had them about a year now and they are doing great, it’s just Oskar that seems to mope when my sons not around, like he’s brooding lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
C'mon now, feeding dog food to fish is simply idiotic. How many times must this be repeated?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
How old are his cichlids?
Some are 5+ years old that I have seen and know of, some i'm sure are older than that. He has also given me cichlids out of this tank and they did well in my tanks.
I'm sure it is far from ideal and I wouldn't recommend it. Just saying, I have seen it done.

Ewoodjojo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Yorkshire
C'mon now, feeding dog food to fish is simply idiotic. How many times must this be repeated?
I asked as people keep telling me to give them dog food and biscuits but I wasn’t sure if I could, also it says they can eat shrimps, and prawns do I just buy frozen ones and pop them in , or defrost? I feel stupid asking these questions but I have to as my 7 year old adores his boys and I don’t want anything to happen to them if I feed them the wrong thing, I always had koi til now lol

Ewoodjojo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Yorkshire
I also have a friend who says they love raw mincemeat, not tried it as I’m not convinced, but hey they love earth worms. So maybe they would like mince just not sure, just get fed up of giving them mealworms, cucumber, shelled peas, earthworms and pellets they must get bored and everything I put in lasts seconds as they are machines lol

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
fish eat other fish, insects, crustaceans, and some fish eat fruits.

Not all shrimp is good for fish. For instance, feeding tiger shrimp can cause neurological issues down the line. Feeding terrestrial meat will lead to issues in the long run, like fatty liver disease (just like people).

The easiest thing to do is feed fish pellets, some brands are better than others.

If you want to read up on what they eat in the wild (no mention of terrestrial meat):

http://uakari.mamiraua.org.br/UAKARI/article/viewFile/109/170

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store