Can you get ick with out adding new fish?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Ok I got a question It looks like there's only one fish that has ick Can I pull him out and treat him in the qt then treat the tank for a few days to just kill anything in there?
No, ich is a parasite that drops (egg sacs) cysts into the water column, so you need to treat the whole system even if only one fish is showing visual signs. Which is why you are supposed to do regular wc during treatment.

typically when I am treating ich, I just do a quick vacuum over the substrate to get some of the cysts out of the system, every other day, depending on how severe. Then when I refill I replace the salt dose accordingly. So I don’t think you need to do huge wc, just a few smaller more frequent.

and like already mentioned, I would just stop dosing with the med

Once the salt method starts working it makes the ich look much worse, then all of a sudden it is gone. Then keep the temp and salt in the system for about a week after the last sight of spots.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
No ich is a parasite that drops (egg sacs) cysts into the water column. Which is why you are supposed to do regular wc during treatment.

typically when I am treating ich, I just do a quick vacuum over the substrate to get some of the cysts out of the system, every other day, depending on how severe. Then when I refill I replace the salt dose accordingly. So I don’t think you need to do huge wc, just a few smaller more frequent.

and like already mentioned, I would just stop dosing with the med

Once the salt method starts working it makes the ich look much worse, then all of a sudden it is gone. Then keep the temp and salt in the system for about a week after the last sight of spots.
I understand the salt method works most of the time but I had ick when I first started this tank and tried the salt thing and it did not work at all. So are resistant to heat and salt. I used the ick x and saw much better results after that I will always use that. But I'm not sure I am getting my question though right. I am going to do water changes and treat for ick in the main tank. I wanted to put the infected fish and treat him longer in a separate tank. Unfortunately Most things in this hobby are anecdote and we just need to try them.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yes if you want to be sure you are treating the sick fish it wouldn’t hurt to get him out as well. Then you can treat the main tank and him separately.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Ditto Deadeye Deadeye says. My choc was the one infecting the main tank awhile back and was still dropping cysts. So I treated him separately and more aggressively as he developed a secondary bacterial infection with missing scales and scrapes. It made no sense to leave him with the others to put even more ich in the tank. So the main tank was treated separately and the choc went into a hospital tub for three weeks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In dealing with ick, the entire tank must be treated, because the ick tomites(egg)s are always dropping off the fish, and falling into the substrate, some hatch immediately some are inert, and hatch later.
If you had ick before, and its back, its probably for that reason.
And if you didn't bring the salinity up above 3 ppt, and keep that salinity/concentration for a number of weeks(maybe even more than a month), it is likely a few inert cysts survived.
Cysts can go inert and in that state meds and/or salt is ineffective.
200 gallons isn't hard to treat, just pour in 6lbs of rock salt in the tank, and replace the appropriate amount during water changes.
The last time I treated about 3 years ago, ick was on a couple wild caught fish, that were in a 180 gal tank, with 40 gallons of sump. I kept salinity at 3.5 ppt for over 2 months.
Ick has not returned.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
In dealing with ick, the entire tank must be treated, because the ick tomites(egg)s are always dropping off the fish, and falling into the substrate, some hatch immediately some are inert, and hatch later.
If you had ick before, and its back, its probably for that reason.
And if you didn't bring the salinity up above 3 ppt, and keep that salinity/concentration for a number of weeks(maybe even more than a month), it is likely a few inert cysts survived.
Cysts can go inert and in that state meds and/or salt is ineffective.
200 gallons isn't hard to treat, just pour in 6lbs of rock salt in the tank, and replace the appropriate amount during water changes.
The last time I treated about 3 years ago, ick was on a couple wild caught fish, that were in a 180 gal tank, with 40 gallons of sump. I kept salinity at 3.5 ppt for over 2 months.
Ick has not returned.
I used a hydrometer so I know it was the right salinity. And I did it for over 2 weeks and it just got worse. Also I need to replace 200 gallons or more.my tank is 600 gallons 700 gallons total volume

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
FYI I just found a fish dr that will do a virtual vist for $39. I will let you know what I think after I meet with him but his website is.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
When setting th
I used a hydrometer so I know it was the right salinity. And I did it for over 2 weeks and it just got worse. Also I need to replace 200 gallons or more.my tank is 600 gallons 700 gallons total volume
Can't you just vacuum 25- 50 gallons of the substrate to remove the ich there everyday? Or is the 200 gallons you are referring to has to do with a normal water change to keep your nitrates down?

Reactions: Matteus and Deadeye

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
When setting th

Can't you just vacuum 25- 50 gallons of the substrate to remove the ich there everyday? Or is the 200 gallons you are referring to has to do with a normal water change to keep your nitrates down?
With The medication you need to do 1/3 water changes. But even with salt the bigger the water change the better. I have a drip system normally for water changes and don't do big ones. 70 gallons is only 10% . But I found that chloroquine is the best think you can use for resistant strains of ick, but because some people are stupid and tried to use it to cure COVID-19 and died so I can't get it without a dr now.
I don't think they should have taken it off the market, if someone is stupid enough to take fish medications and not go to a Dr, do we really need those people? Have you ever heard of darwin? Stupidity is to aggravating ?

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus and Deadeye

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Treating for only 2 weeks in a 600 gal tank, is hardly enough to make even a small dent in a ick population.
Using salt on 600 would require you to add 18lbs, so unless you added that amount, its no surprise ick again reared its only head.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store