Can you use drift wood you find yourself

Lund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Michigan
Could I find a piece of drift wood in a local lake/river/or one of the Great lakes, and put it in my aquarium? And if so what exactly makes a piece of wood to be considered drift wood? And is there any sterilizing precautions I should take before adding it to my tank.

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
Lund;671780; said:
Could I find a piece of drift wood in a local lake/river/or one of the Great lakes, and put it in my aquarium? And if so what exactly makes a piece of wood to be considered drift wood? And is there any sterilizing precautions I should take before adding it to my tank.
yes you can use it, just make sure to wash well, with hot water and etc

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
To disinfect you can boil it.or if its too big soak in bleach1 cup/10g water then brine solution,scrub it really good first.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I also would soak it in fish for a while to keep your bleach from getting infected with native diseases. LOL

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
lol. yes you can, just boil it. nothing will live at 100 degrees so, you'll have killed everything. if you want to be super thorough you can take all the bark off if its a branch. You could scrub it down after too, and if you want bleach it, but i never like to bleach wood.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Lund;671780; said:
It's technically considered drift wood if it was been floating in water for almost any period of time ;) , but what you want is something off the bottom of a cold water (deep) lake if possible. this way it is already waterlogged. If it doesn't have anything growing on it just a general cleaning (with light bleach if you have any concerns, just rinse/soak to dechlor it).

Good luck, finding your own driftwood makes the tank that much more special...

What part of Michigan are you in?

ewurm;671950; said:
I also would soak it in fish for a while to keep your bleach from getting infected with native diseases. LOL
ewurm, your wisdom has befuddled us again :ROFL: !

davo;671980; said:
lol. yes you can, just boil it. nothing will live at 100 degrees so, you'll have killed everything. if you want to be super thorough you can take all the bark off if its a branch. You could scrub it down after too, and if you want bleach it, but i never like to bleach wood.
Just a side note, alot of bacteria live at more than 100*F, boiling water (212*F) kills 80+% of harmful aquatic bacteria, bleach gets another 19% and if your fussy UV gets the rest.

Dr Joe

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Native driftwood is great. I only have self-harvested wood in my tank.

- the river has to be clean, no industry along the shores!
- the wood has to be well weathered, washed out to the fiber. If it has bark, it's too young. It needs to look like it's spent years and years in the water
- only use wood from flowing bodies of water, never from stagnant areas.
- do not use wood that was covered with mud, it must be located in the stream
- Stay away from conifers. Look at the vegetation along the stream and upstream closely!

When I harvest driftwood, I first hose it down with a high-pressure cleaner (carwash). Then, I soak it in saturated salt solution (in the bath tub) for three days (daily fresh). That disinfects it all the way. Then I soak it for a couple of days in daily fresh water to de-salt it.

And off it goes into my tank. Generally, you have to weigh it down. I tie it to a rock with fishing line.

Self-harvested wood is a lot of fun. I got mine from a canoeing trip :thumbsup:

HarleyK

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Dr Joe;672258; said:
davo;671980; said:
lol. yes you can, just boil it. nothing will live at 100 degrees so...

Just a side note, alot of bacteria live at more than 100*F, boiling water (212*F) kills 80+% ...
Davo lives in the UK. His 100 degrees is in Celcius :D

I always think it's pretty cool how their water boils at almost half the temp of what ours boils at.:ROFL:

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Another thing to keep in mind when harvesting your own driftwood is to keep it wet. I have a small peice that I found in several feet of water. It was on the bottom on some rocks with nothing holding it down. It was allowed to dry out until I got home (collected during month long vacation). It has been floating in one of my tanks since the middle of August and is showing no signs of sinking (it is not weighted down).

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Dr Joe;672258; said:
Just a side note, alot of bacteria live at more than 100*F, boiling water (212*F) kills 80+% of harmful aquatic bacteria, bleach gets another 19% and if your fussy UV gets the rest.

Dr Joe

He's from the UK where they use Celcius so 100 degrees will be fine to kill off anything that would detrimental to our fish's health. (if you use the Kelvin scale, 373 will take care of them) Not much can handle anything above that. Bleach works very well to take out anything else and get the gunk off of the wood. post some pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store