Canister filter suggestion

Carassius Auratus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2018
Thank you for the suggestions. I have been thinking it over and considering that the sponges are doing a fine job with ammonia/nitrite (even though they’re ugly,) I wonder if I should just keep them and add an internal or hob filter like a magnum or aquaclear for the chemical/polishing filtration.

I do plan to up the water changes with the larger tank, I also have 3 anubias plants in there. I’ve even considered adding duckweed since I’ve heard they can be real nitrate absorbers. And I know the goldfish will graze on them too.

I haven’t checked the nitrate levels yet on the 125, as I just moved the fish in there a few days ago. I usually do maintenance on the weekend, so I’ll test then and see where it’s at.

I checked the filter out and everything appears normal. The hoses are clear, nothing stuck in them.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
you tried pressing or unscrewing the red knob on top of canister?

I am using different filters but from what i know it is used to purge bubbles or to quick start the filter

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Are your sponge filters at the end of the tank that your intake is? Have them as far away from eachother as possible

Carassius Auratus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2018
Galantspeedz, I pumped it when I first set up the filter to get water in and air out. I haven’t removed it though.

Mattison187, no, the closest sponge filter is over a foot away from the intake.

I came home today and noticed the filter was making rattling noises, not very loud but loud enough that it sounded different. So I took it apart today and discovered that the impeller shaft is broken in two pieces. I also noticed a bioball floating inside the intake connector on the top basket. I have no idea how one managed to get in there. That could have been the culprit, or it could have just popped out when I was taking The filter head off, I’m not sure. I did find a couple more in the bio rings basket too. And it looks like its dead again. Definitely going to send back.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
I know this isn't the kind of advice your asking for but after having had 8 ryukin/comets in a 150g with and fx4 and an ac110 I highly recommend going with a sump.

the fx4 stop flowing in about 2-4 weeks because it would plug up and the floss in the ac110 would be done after a week. maintenance in the fx4 is a pain because of how big it is, other than that I love the flow from the fx4.

I'm gonna add a sump with filter socks you can change in minutes every couple days . I know water clarity/quality will be greatly improved that way.

just my 2 cents . good luck getting your canister working.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Galantspeedz, I pumped it when I first set up the filter to get water in and air out. I haven’t removed it though.

Mattison187, no, the closest sponge filter is over a foot away from the intake.

I came home today and noticed the filter was making rattling noises, not very loud but loud enough that it sounded different. So I took it apart today and discovered that the impeller shaft is broken in two pieces. I also noticed a bioball floating inside the intake connector on the top basket. I have no idea how one managed to get in there. That could have been the culprit, or it could have just popped out when I was taking The filter head off, I’m not sure. I did find a couple more in the bio rings basket too. And it looks like its dead again. Definitely going to send back.
so my initial suspicion should be right, the impeller was not working normally or was faulty at onset

glad to know that you managed to find the fault... maybe a picture will reveal more clues... were the baskets aligned perfectly?

Carassius Auratus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2018
pescado209, I’ll probably look toward a sump system in future tank upgrades. The 125g I have isn’t drilled for an overflow and the cabinet wouldn’t support much of a sump underneath. My plan is to eventually move these goldfish into a pond, but that’s a few years away.

Galantspeedz, the baskets were properly stacked inside the canister.

I’ve already returned the canister and have picked up a Marineland magnum for polishing and a Seachem tidal 110 for bio/chemical. So far I like them both. I had ordered an AC110 too, but it arrived broken. Sheesh, what luck I’ve been having with filters.

I’ve also came across some videos on YouTube of people using pothos house plants for controlling nitrates. Seems like an interesting idea and some people have gotten some good results with it. My nitrates so far are between 20-30ppm after the first week in the 125g. I might place some pothos in my tank and see what happens.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Pothos are excellent for removing nitrates from the tank after they develop there water roots and really start taking off. They are one of my favorite forms of filtration. I would HIGHLY reccomend adding some to your gold fish tank!

Return your current filter and get something better.

The fluval 404 I had was the worst filter I have ever owned and I have been through quite a few different filters. I have never tried a Fluval FX series... I don't think I have come across many complaints about the FX's, most owners seem to love them. I am pretty sour on Fluval products due to my 404 experience.

1 good filter is much better than 2 lousy filters.

I bought my first sump off craigslist about 8 years ago... I will never go back to a canister filter! I prefer wet/dry sumps for the huge O2 exchange they offer. Sumps are so much easier to maintain. I can clean my filter sock or filter pad without having to turn off the pump. My monthly maintanance is takes about 5-10 minutes (5 by myself, 10 if my daughter helps). A 20g sump can offer a LOT of filtration if setup well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store