Canister filter suggestion

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
duanes duanes spot on. Reason I went from FX5 to 3 ac110s. Wish I had tried a sump but whatever.

HibunaKeeper

Feeder Fish
Oct 2, 2018
Hello,

This is my first post here, but I have been recommended to this forum for aquarium advice from another, unrelated forum. I have kept fish in the past, like 15 years ago, and just recently, about a year ago, started taking up the hobby again.

I used to keep large aggressive fish like cichlids, piranha, electric catfish (my favorite, he shocked me once) etc. Although this time around I decided to start with my most abused fish, as my username hints. I started with goldfish as a kid and graduated to feeding poor goldfish feeders to my aggressive big fish, now I’m just raising shubunkin and common goldfish and enjoying their peaceful interaction and learning to appreciate their individual personalities I never realized existed. Anyway.. to my question.

I had about 8 (ranging from 2”-4”) of them in a 75 gallon with 2 sponge filters rated for 100+ gallons each, I’ve since moved them into a 125 gallon aquarium and wanted to use a canister filter for them. I did some research and decided to go with a Marineland magniflow 360. I chose this model because it has a high media capacity and I wanted to be able to use Purigen in one of the baskets to help keep my nitrates under control. I was getting about 80ppm in the 75g with weekly 15% water changes. Ammonia and nitrite were always 0ppm.

However, I’ve been having some real issues with this canister, it seems to be sucking in air bubbles constantly (not sure where) because every time I tilt it, it stalls and starts chopping air then sputters back to life. It’s been running a couple of days and every time I shake or tilt it has tons of air built up inside. I came home today to it being completely stalled and the top of the housing was warm to the touch. I shook it and bubbles spurted out and it started running again, then died. I left it unplugged about an hour and tried again, it came back to life, same thing with bubbles. Then died again, then back to life. It’s still running currently, but I’m kind of over it.

I did read all of Marineland’s FAQ and made sure the intake hose is flush with the rib on the intake tube and that the clamp is right up to it. I used channel locks to cinch that sucker down. And the sponge filters are nowhere near the intake, so it’s not sucking in air bubbles from there. The main o-ring was lubed with pure silicone grease prior to installing (scuba diving food grade stuff) and so were the intake tubes on the block that locks into the canister. I’m not sure what else to do. Could be this is defective and has some flaw somewhere. It’s still on the Return period through amazon, so I’m considering exchanging it for something else.

I’m considering a hydor 350 or Fluval 406, these were my other options prior. Either way I plan to get at least two for backup and ditch the sponge filters once the canisters are established. I don’t know much about hydor except that they’re fairly new to the filter market and have relatively large capacities and decent flow rates with the media installed. I’ve known Fluval for years and used their ‘03 models in the past and never had issues with them. Though I don’t know if they have kept up their quality since then. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Reading through the thread and all the suggestions, I’ll add my own experience. I’ve kept Common Goldfish and many fancy varieties as well as Cichlids over many years, in small ponds and aquarium systems up to 300 gallons. I’ve tried every type of filtration with Common Goldfish and many work! But there is varying degrees of maintenance.

First, remember that goldish keeping with filtration is roughly 100 years old and goldfish keeping is possibly 750-1000 years old. In other words, filtration is new. The centuries old method is based on appropriate stocking and water changes. People who raise very expensive Ranchu in Japan often rely on large, shallow outdoor tubs with either no filtration or sponge filtration and often do 100% water changes, every 5 to 7 days and a stocking level of 25 gallons per fish (Ranchu which have a heavy, body mass). These tubs or ponds of course have a huge, surface area to depth ratio, allowing for maximum oxygen saturation. Aquariums are not that efficient, so filtration is definitely, helpful.

Even with filtration, there is no substitute for appropriate stocking level and massive water changes. For Common Goldfish, the normal maximum size (according to The Goldfish Society website) is 6 to 9 total inches in small, backyard ponds. The same should be reasonably expected in an appropriate acquarium. An appropriate aquarium for Common Goldfish is 4 ft x 18” and not over 21” deep. The appropriate stocking level for goldfish with that surface area is approximately, 8” of body length. One average, Common Goldfish in a 75 gallon aquarium is about right for maximum growth and health. It’s pretty comparable to recommendations for Oscars or other similarly sized fish. Goldfish are messy, but being coldwater fish and cooler water absorbing oxygen more readily, compensates somewhat.

Again, attempting to duplicate what an aquarium goldfish would experience in an appropriately stocked pond, the Nitrate ppm should be as close to zero as possible. The way to keep the Nitrates as low as possible in your system, barring keeping a LOT of plants is massive water changes, every 5 to 7 days and occasional, 100% water changes. To prevent ph shock, this needs to be done routinely, so every 5 is even better than every 7 days.

My filter of choice, having tried them all is sump filtration. The easiest way to add a sump is to get a hang-on overflow box and an appropriately sized return pump. I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump, running 50 gallons of water (sump sits on the floor behind my aquarium stand), for one, sometimes two Common Goldfish I rotate from my pond. Sumps can be as complex or simple as you want them to be. Baffles are not required! My current sump has the overflow going into a 100 micron filter sock, two 5” thick sponges set up in Hamburg Mattenfilter configuration with the pump on the opposite end of the sump from the filter sock. Between the sponges, I have six of the large, MarinePure ceramic blocks. I also have a media basket that is as tall as the sponges and forces water through 7-8 pounds of Biohome. So,one pump pulls water through all of that mixed filter media without needing baffles. Very easy way to convert an aquarium into a sump. There are various sized, lava rocks just sitting in the bottom of the sump. Water simply passes over these. I have a couple of airpump powered block sponge filters on either end of the sump for surface agitation and additional filtration. I change the filter sock, every 2-3 days or whenever it starts to discolor (wash and re-use these, many times). Doing so keeps my media from clogging, so far - ever. This is filtration overkill! But the efficiency is phenomenal and filter maintenance, extremely low. It would be just as good with water changes though less Nitrate consuming to just use the sponge Mattenfilters (ordered from Swiss Tropicals).

Gotta’ hit send. Sorry for any typo’s. Good luck with your Common Goldfish. I get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pescado209

HibunaKeeper

Feeder Fish
Oct 2, 2018
Oh and on mechanical filtration, the return pump nozzle is almost good enough. I do have two circulation pumps (vortex style) on either end of the tank to keep the bottom stirred up. I run those at the lowest setting and along with the return flow, the bottom stays immaculate. One alternative to adding expensive circulation pumps (I also keep the bottom, bare) is a long handled net to scoop any residual detritus out of dead spots if you have any.

Since I have city water, I age water for the aquarium in another, similarly sized aquarium and water for the sump in a 50 gallon water storage barrel. I use Seachem Safe and aerate it with hydroponic style air stones for 3 day’s minimum to completely gas it off. Overkill but no more trouble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store