Canister vs hob ?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Original model number, for what is now called AC 110. 500 is probably before you were born. lol

BTW - I have spare o-rings sitting here collecting dust. The only way O-rings typically wear out on an AC motor, is if one is constantly removing the motor from the filter housing. Otherwise, should last 20 yrs or more.
Are you saying your AC last 20 yrs and never have to replace the impeller? Impossible. All impellers will worn out in 3 to 5 yrs and begin to make clicking noise, Unless you don't mind the noise, it's time to replace the impeller. Also, a gunk up impeller will not reliably restart in a power surge, and need to be cleaned periodically. And every time you clean an AC, you have to remove the motor to access the impeller which adds up mileage to the O ring. Not that other HOBs don't have O ring, they all do, but you can access the impeller from above without the need to unscrew the motor. My Whisper and Marineland HOBs also last forever too until one day I may not be able to find impeller replacement.

Last edited:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If it starts clicking use petroleum jelly and rub it on the impeller body that sits inside the pump. Works like a charm

Reactions: J. H.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
If it starts clicking use petroleum jelly and rub it on the impeller body that sits inside the pump. Works like a charm
Oiling it only works for minor worn out, and you have to repeat it often, adding mileage to the O ring. The reason it makes clicking noise is because the impeller has worn out of balance or the shaft is crooked. There is no permanent fix without replacing them new. Unlike traditional HOBs you can access the impeller from above, accessing the AC impeller is no easy task as you have to take the box out, unscrew the motor, and drain the box. This is another reason I never like AC.

The reason AC is most popular is because it over powers any other HOBs in flow and media capacity. I have seen lined up of AC, Whisper, and Marineland side by side and AC pumps more flow. What is amazing is that AC will continue to pump water when the tank water level is drawn down way below the motor when all other HOBs have long quit. This is AC's strong point because you don't need to shut down the filter in WC, but also its weakness because if AC develops a leak, it can drain the tank as a canister will.

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Been in the hobby for 17 years and I've used both HOB's and canisters from various manufacturers. HOB's - Marineland Emperor 400's and AquaClear 110's & 70's. Canisters - Fluval 403's & FX6's, Eheim 2228's & Prof 3 2080. We are currently running 12 AC110's, 2 AC70's, 2 FX6's, and a solo Eheim Prof 3 2080. I do like the FX6's, but I like the ease of maintenance on the AquaClear's. Had a couple of leaking 403's and Eheim 2228's that completely destroyed some nice Oceanic stands. Haven't had a leaking HOB yet. I regularly clean them (so easy to access), so build up of nitrates, etc is very limited. Both serve a purpose for our tanks, but I'll take an AC110 any day of the week.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have been quite happy with the Aqueon QuietFlow 20's that I have on my son's 10 gallon tank. I know these are a bit small for a lot of the tanks you all have but they make bigger models of them also. I like that the pump is actually inside the tank and they hold quite a bit of media for their size. Just thought I'd mention them.

Reactions: J. H. and robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I have been quite happy with the Aqueon QuietFlow 20's that I have on my son's 10 gallon tank. I know these are a bit small for a lot of the tanks you all have but they make bigger models of them also. I like that the pump is actually inside the tank and they hold quite a bit of media for their size. Just thought I'd mention them.
I have two of the 55/75's and have no complaints, very good inexpensive filter imo.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
AC110 fan, great mech filtration and ok, bio, best is a combo of both, I run both on all my tanks as canisters are better bio filtration.

my AC,s have ran for years, no issues, if your impellers are burning up in a few years, may be do to running sand in your tank.

Reactions: Hendre

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Impossible? Would you like to come inspect my 10-15 year old impellers. Lol

AC impellers last almost forever, unless you are sucking in fine grit or sand. I have replaced 2 I think over the years, both buggered by sand getting in. Same with impeller shafts, had a couple bugger up by sand, replaced shaft and impeller at same time. I still have several extras of both sitting in a parts drawer for several years.

So other than a couple sand Fung ups no impeller issues, and no o-ring issues. Not sure what you are doing to have to
replace them every 3-5 years?

Also, we rarely havee power go out, maybe 3-4 times in past 30 years, and my AC 500's have always started back up.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW.... I also never clean impellers. Lol. Not ever. I use probiotics to help keep my tanks gunk free, but even before that I never routinely cleaned my AC impellers or shafts.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store