cant get rid of ammonia

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Check the date on your test kit, and also make sure that you are viewing the tube against a white background. My tank in the kitchen (doesn't everyone have a kitchen tank) seemed to always have a hint of an ammonia reading, I finally realized it was the sage colored walls that were causing the test to look greenish. If my bottles have been sitting for awhile, I usually give them a good shake to make sure the chemicals are mixed before testing. If you can eliminate the tap as a source and testing errors, it pretty much leaves filtration as the culprit. I add ceramic rings to the grey plastic baskets in my emp 400 filters.

rubencito

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2016
Check the date on your test kit, and also make sure that you are viewing the tube against a white background. My tank in the kitchen (doesn't everyone have a kitchen tank) seemed to always have a hint of an ammonia reading, I finally realized it was the sage colored walls that were causing the test to look greenish. If my bottles have been sitting for awhile, I usually give them a good shake to make sure the chemicals are mixed before testing. If you can eliminate the tap as a source and testing errors, it pretty much leaves filtration as the culprit. I add ceramic rings to the grey plastic baskets in my emp 400 filters.

Yeah i put matrix in the plastic andi know theres ammonia because it actually went up to 4.0 now

Rox

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2016
Do a 75% water change. You may even need to do a 90%. Pick up a few bottles of TetraSafeStart or Seachem Stability and follow the directions compeletely! Sorry to say but with ammonia that high you are gonna lose any fish in the tank and anything that survives is gonna suffer some permanent damage. Good luck :(

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Sounds like a pretty heavy bio load stock. Not surprised by high readings

Rox

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2016
If you can relocate the fish ASAP until you get the readings under control. And do NOT feed the fish for the time being because it will only further the process of the time to cycle!

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store