Carib Sea Rift Lake Authentic substrate

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Has anyone tried this substrate?

I’m setting up a 220 gallon Tanganyika biotope and my LFS is telling me that I should get 200 lbs of this substrate. It looks very different from most African cichlid setups I see on videos and so on, as it seems to be made up of small shells and pebbles rather than the standard sand.

I suppose I have two questions:

1.) What would be the most geologically-similar substrate to southern Tanganyika? Would it be this Rift Lake Authentic product? Or a basic light coloured sand?

2.) If I went with 200 lbs of Rift Lake Authentic as substrate, would that create any problems? It looks like detritus might get stuck under it - as the pieces are actually quite large.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has used it.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You restricted replies to those who have used it. That means those of us who would not use it cannot provide a response.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Way too expensive and no benefit I can see. I like pool filter sand...the 20 grain works well with the Python, it's clean (although I still wash it well), does not get pulled into filter impellers and it looks natural. Plus $20 for 50 pounds.

To my eye it looks more like what I see in the Rift Lakes.

I would not put in more than 100 pounds. That will cover your tank with 1 inch of substrate...a good amount for ease of cleaning. You will have a fair amount of rocks...depending on which species. The rocks go in first, so you don't need sand in those areas.

Reactions: fishguy1978

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have used sand and aragonite. I'm cheap so what ever is cheapest gets my bid. I then have more money for fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store