Carpeting plants without co2

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey guys, I’m considering buying montecarlo to try and carpet my medium light no co2 75 gallon. I dose flourish comprehensive and excel on a weekly basis and currently have Val and water wisteria. I’m planning a rescape and wanted the center to have a carpeting plant. Anyone have experience with montecarlo in a deep tank that doesn’t have co2? And if not any plant suggestions that would be a better beginner carpet? Post pics of your planted tanks as I love to see what everyone else has ??

C1D4B91F-83BE-4A9C-B4DC-7A14A67FC53E.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: dr exum

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The monte Carlo can be done without CO2. However it won’t be as green and lush as you like. You’ll have to change your substrate out. Another good option would be to work Is dwarf teaIs dwarf hair grass.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I came pretty close to a carpet with dwarf chain sword they are easy to grow but may not give you the tight lawn look you may be going for.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Montecarlo needs high lights and co2 to thrive and stay short. Med light and no co2 can still work. But it won't stay short. And will take a really long time to grow and carpet..U prob have a hard time attaching the plants to the substrate at first. It's def a advance plant especially with no co2. It will grow lengthy without intense light. Gonna need high light and co2 and fertz if u want lush carpets like u see on the internet. And a nutrient rich substrates. That goes for pretty much all carpet plants.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Montecarlo needs high lights and co2 to thrive and stay short. Med light and no co2 can still work. But it won't stay short. And will take a really long time to grow and carpet..U prob have a hard time attaching the plants to the substrate at first. It's def a advance plant especially with no co2. It will grow lengthy without intense light. Gonna need high light and co2 and fertz if u want lush carpets like u see on the internet. And a nutrient rich substrates. That goes for pretty much all carpet plants.
Okay yeah kinda what I figured. I think my lighting shouldn’t be too much of an issue but I def don’t have co2. I may try dwarf hair grass, montecarlo, as well as some others and see which ones carpet the best! Thanks!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good advice so far, the monte will not act how you want it to in that kind of setup. But the chain swords will! They get a bit taller but I personally think it's a nice look, and they thrive with low-med light and no C02

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Okay yeah kinda what I figured. I think my lighting shouldn’t be too much of an issue but I def don’t have co2. I may try dwarf hair grass, montecarlo, as well as some others and see which ones carpet the best! Thanks!
It depends, high intense lights keeps it short. Not enough light it grows lengthy because its reaching for more lights. Co2 speeds the growth but the high intense lights keeps it a carpet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store