Catfish and Turtle

Sam Faralli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
So I have a 55 gallon tank with a 10.5 inch bullhead catfish. I have recently got into turtles and I was looking into a male yellow bellied slider. Could I keep the yellow bellied slider and the catfish together without them attacking each other?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Even if they dont start attacking each other I don't like the catfish's chances of survival unless you purchase a turtle that is much small than the bullhead....and that might not end well for the turtle.

Sam Faralli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
I know that turtles are very filthy and messy. I have a friend that has a very large red ear slider and it’s a pig and I have very good filtration and I have plenty of time on my hands to take care of a turtle and clean up after him. I just want to know if I can put a yellow bellied slider with my 10.5 inch catfish and not have the turtle kill my catfish? And Incase anyone was wondering, they would be in a 55 gallon for awhile and then would be moved into a 125 in about a year

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think the turtle would eventually start to take chunks out of the catfish.

Sam Faralli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
That’s what I was thinking but I wasn’t 100% sure because I know some turtles are kept with big fish like koi and do fine with them

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That’s what I was thinking but I wasn’t 100% sure because I know some turtles are kept with big fish like koi and do fine with them
That is true and it really depends on the individual turtle.You could lesson the odds of slider on bullhead aggression by keeping it well fed with nutritous foods.

Sam Faralli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Oh that’s not a bad idea. Also to clarify I understand that you would usually want to have a turtle separate from fish unless it’s food but I can only have one tank in my house so I’m trying to make it work but if my catfish has like no chance of surviving I probably just won’t get the turtle cause I have had my catfish for a very long time and I would hate to see him go

jstevenz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
chicago il
I tried this once before in my 125 that housed 2 Oscars that were 10 inches. I tried what K krichardson stated and got a small yellow belly that was just big enough to not fit in the Oscars mouth. I kept the Oscars well fed and after the first initial day they left the turtle alone which was my only concern but I was wrong. A week later I witnessed this baby turtle clenched to the Oscars' fins with his mouth and the Oscar shaking like crazy to get him off. I think it does all depend on the turtle and their personality but for me this definitely ended up not working.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store