Catfish ideas

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The video with your daughter is cuteness overload I could hardly bear :)

If you have zero tolerance for aggression in your tanks, you are gambling. You may luck out or you may not.

They say never trust a catfish. There is truth to that. Especially over the said catfish life. The problems may start from the giddy-up or creep in or hit you suddenly like a bus.

Just like Kolt said, his trachies have been mellow but when a breeding season muddles up their thinking, they turn into eating machines. I observe this with my fish too. Sometimes it doesn't matter that there is no mating partner, esp. for a female. They still eat like there is no tomorrow and produce eggs although there is no male in sight. When a fish is a predator, that endangers tank mates. Inherent risk.

I am just saying... I'd make your family be aware that to please everyone and yourself, all have to compromise and learn to live with a risk. Can't handle risk? Then must pick safer communities. Managing risk and doing homework like you are doing and accepting outcomes of your decisions is as important of a lesson as fish keeping.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Im in vaca as well so I can't put any extensive input, but some things after a quick non thorough read is, my Trachy comes out even after the first load of pellets go in like kolt's. My Trachy also isn't aggressive outside of his hide, but doesn't let anyone in it. The other day was the first time I herd him grunt and seen him she aggression to the curu, the hunt is Very deep in comparison to my jag who grunts for anything such as being rubbed against. I also felt the Trachy grunt, I have a metal stand and wood floors so idk if that makes a difference in that. So my Trachy isn't very vocal. Only aggressive over his hide. I haven't kept it with the jag, size difference is to much for me to even wanna risk.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The video with your daughter is cuteness overload I could hardly bear :)

If you have zero tolerance for aggression in your tanks, you are gambling. You may luck out or you may not.

They say never trust a catfish. There is truth to that. Especially over the said catfish life. The problems may start from the giddy-up or creep in or hit you suddenly like a bus.

Just like Kolt said, his trachies have been mellow but when a breeding season muddles up their thinking, they turn into eating machines. I observe this with my fish too. Sometimes it doesn't matter that there is no mating partner, esp. for a female. They still eat like there is no tomorrow and produce eggs although there is no male in sight. When a fish is a predator, that endangers tank mates. Inherent risk.

I am just saying... I'd make your family be aware that to please everyone and yourself, all have to compromise and learn to live with a risk. Can't handle risk? Then must pick safer communities. Managing risk and doing homework like you are doing and accepting outcomes of your decisions is as important of a lesson as fish keeping.
Im in vaca as well so I can't put any extensive input, but some things after a quick non thorough read is, my Trachy comes out even after the first load of pellets go in like kolt's. My Trachy also isn't aggressive outside of his hide, but doesn't let anyone in it. The other day was the first time I herd him grunt and seen him she aggression to the curu, the hunt is Very deep in comparison to my jag who grunts for anything such as being rubbed against. I also felt the Trachy grunt, I have a metal stand and wood floors so idk if that makes a difference in that. So my Trachy isn't very vocal. Only aggressive over his hide. I haven't kept it with the jag, size difference is to much for me to even wanna risk.
Yup we discussed the possible aggression my sons actually pretty good about it but does give me crap when it happens. I have no illusions of it working out no matter how much planning i put in ime theres always the wild card fish. Pick 3 and 1 may be a jerk pick 5 and 1,2,or 3 may not follow the rules.

Seems to me the bolt will be the top choice with the vulture being a close second.

Seems like the bolt/trachy/jag combo would leave us with the most success but leave less activity with the vulture out of the equation.

Maybe i should consider some smaller growing (less than 18inch) cats that are active and would fit well with the bolt/trachy/jag combo maybe juru would fit the bill (even though they get larger than 18 maybe less of a while card than the vulture) but then we have the food competition thing.

U guys have any more suggestions i should show them ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Maybe a group of ornate pims or lima shovel nose would be cool.

Isnt there a few different species of lima ?

Reactions: Experiment397

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Basically almost all limas are elongatus and not true limas. Meaning will get to around a foot.

But a group of 8 limas would look good.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Basically almost all limas are elongatus and not true limas. Meaning will get to around a foot.

But a group of 8 limas would look good.
Thx i remember reading that...i think kolt posted something along those lines 12 inches would be perfect for what im planning

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
After showing my son the pics that at thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter post in the vulture thread he doesnt want the vulture (did ask if we could set up a seperate tank for one....NO)

What do u guys do in term of qt ? Do you always treat with a particular med ?

My qt is basically 2 48 hr treatments of parasite gaurd. PG ok for cats ?

Really dont do anything special as far as acclimating other than floating the bag to get the temps to match but again i keep mostly polys and CA cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store