Catfish with BGK?

clarissasjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Singapore
Hi! It's my first time owning a monster fish species and I may have got a little too carried away at the fish shop and bought 2 BGK and a catfish (Clarias Batrachus) at once. The bgk and catfish are all around 3 inches.

They were fine for the first few days each doing their own thing but today I realized the bgk has been disturbing the catfish, more of like intruding its personal space every hour or so.. It happened in the day so as usual the catfish was hiding away in an acrylic hideout to rest, however the bgk has been burrowing into the same space (which led to the catfish immediately rushing out and chasing the bgk away) even though there are already acrylic tunnels made for the bgk. I'm currently using a 20L tank with pebbles, it's temporary and yes I know it's insufficient for my beloved fishes but my 2ft tank & sand substrate will be arriving next week so I'm waiting. :)

So now, should I be concerned about the bgk & catfish? I'm not sure whether I should continue with this set up till next week or separate them for the fear of the bgk getting more aggressive towards the catfish.

20170513_202036000_iOS.jpg
This is the very first picture I took of them when I first added them into the tank, before I placed the hideouts in. The bgk looks way larger because they're nearer to the camera but the 3 of them are around the same size.

20170513_144752752_iOS.jpg
This is a picture of them in their own hideouts. Even though there's one of the bgk seen inside a tunnel in this picture, the other bgk doesn't seem to fancy the tunnel as much and spends more time trying to invade the personal space of the catfish. It looks crowded because they keep pushing their hideouts all over the tank I hear things tumbling round every night so I gave up trying to rearrange them unless they get in the way of the filter intake or the oxygen bubbles.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I am so jealous, Clarias Batricus/ walking catfish are illegal in NY. I want one!

clarissasjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Singapore
try adding more hides of different sizes also I would be worried if the catfishes growth outgrows the BGK
I guess I'll be getting an extra tank for my 2 tier shelf too, yknow just in case they start to display really aggressive behaviour towards each other haha

clarissasjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Singapore
I am so jealous, Clarias Batricus/ walking catfish are illegal in NY. I want one!
I think they're native to Southeast Asia and I've read somewhere saying that they can become a really invasive species if their irresponsible owners were to just dispose them in lakes/rivers etc so I guess that's why they try to prevent people from owning one in the US

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
How big is the tank?

Also that bright gravel will stress your fish out. A dark sand is ideal for the fish you keep

BGK can become intolerant of each other apparently

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
How big is the tank?

Also that bright gravel will stress your fish out. A dark sand is ideal for the fish you keep

BGK can become intolerant of each other apparently
Yeah, that tank looks like it will soon be a growout. Hendre, I have kept fish on colorful gravel, they don't seem bothered, even if it bothers me to have such gravel. IME, what stresses fish is too much light, not enough places to hide, bad tankmates, too small tank, etc. I don't think gravel color makes a difference.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah, that tank looks like it will soon be a growout. Hendre, I have kept fish on colorful gravel, they don't seem bothered, even if it bothers me to have such gravel. IME, what stresses fish is too much light, not enough places to hide, bad tankmates, too small tank, etc. I don't think gravel color makes a difference.
My knifefish are MUCH more active with dark back and substrate. Same for polys and my syno hangs in view more often. I'm sure it plays some role but not always :)

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
My knifefish are MUCH more active with dark back and substrate. Same for polys and my syno hangs in view more often. I'm sure it plays some role but not always :)
That may be because the darker substrate causes a darker tank. Every fish I have ever had except barbs and goldfish who didn't seem to care were mush happier in a darker tank than a lighter one,. Plants, unfortunately don't agree.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That may be because the darker substrate causes a darker tank. Every fish I have ever had except barbs and goldfish who didn't seem to care were mush happier in a darker tank than a lighter one,. Plants, unfortunately don't agree.
Good points. My plants are fine because I use a bright light, with the darkened sides and also structure helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store