Changing Water

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
I was wondering how you change the water on your big tanks? I use buckets for my 180L which is fine but once I get my larger tank it will take 20 buckets which will take ages and the filter bacteria will probably die. Any methods that you have found work well? Please reply :D

Thanks,

Kieran

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Kieranuk said:
I was wondering how you change the water on your big tanks? I use buckets for my 180L which is fine but once I get my larger tank it will take 20 buckets which will take ages and the filter bacteria will probably die. Any methods that you have found work well? Please reply :D

Thanks,

Kieran
i use a hose from the tap all the way to the tank....

turn it on and have a cigarette while i wait....

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Kieranuk said:
Do you have to warm the water at all or use a declorineator?
I don't warm the water cause when you think about it.... in the river after night the water is freezing... if the fish can take that then why not unheated water?

of course you dont try this when the temp outside drops to 16 and below...

i use Nutrafin's AquaPlus. Just squirt the appropriate amount in as the water flows in and leave it be...

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
In the UK it is below 16 nearly all the time anyway :). I use Ammo-lock as a dechlorineator as you can't over dose it so just a large squirt normally does. I added you to msn if you were wondering...

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Kieranuk said:
In the UK it is below 16 nearly all the time anyway :). I use Ammo-lock as a dechlorineator as you can't over dose it so just a large squirt normally does. I added you to msn if you were wondering...
hmmm.... ok. My friends all have this water supply tank built in with their sump for their big tanks so as to have a ready supply of aged water to top their tanks up with. You could try that method with a heater. No fuss with pails... just use a long hose.

predsg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Orlando, Fl
i use a python hose from tap to tank, only i have 2 or 3 cigs while waiting...lol, it drains and fills...love that thing! as for temp??? i don't heat it, just out of tap, my oscars don't seem to mind, except for the draining part of course, they get a little pissy about it. fill up, they are happy guys again :hearts:

shadzdad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
How often are you supposed to change water in the tank.I have a 120g with a arowana in it. Some pet stores have told me a 10% water change every 2 weeks, some say every 4-6 months , and some say go by the smell. I willask those out here who know what works because of experience. Also I heard that arowanas like tanks with sandy bottoms, lots of plant decoration, and acidic water. Are any of these true?

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
shadzdad said:
How often are you supposed to change water in the tank.I have a 120g with a arowana in it. Some pet stores have told me a 10% water change every 2 weeks, some say every 4-6 months , and some say go by the smell. I willask those out here who know what works because of experience. Also I heard that arowanas like tanks with sandy bottoms, lots of plant decoration, and acidic water. Are any of these true?
Asian arowanas prefer slightly acidic water of ard 6.6-7.... They do not need any sandy bottoms or decorations.

a water change of 30% every 2 weeks is adequate if you're filteration is not over burdened.

slapper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Mpls MN
I let the nitrates tell me when and how mech water to change. I change water once a week, and I like the nitrates to read 20 ppm or lower after I've refilled. My tank produces about 20 ppm in a week so changing 50% works for me. The more fish you have the more water you have to change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store