Channa bleheri

James Harry

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2018
Tomorrow I am picking up my channa bleheri, but the lfs I'm getting them is currently keeping them at 25c, how slowly shall i lower the temp on the tank with them, as i don't want to shock them, also when do you guys/ladies change the temp, is December to April ok for the winter season? and what temps do you keep for both seasons. Also how much flow do they like? The tank is a 340 ltr with stone bogwood and plants. Thanks

weedmand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Now I am no expert, but I just went through the same with my auranti, and what I did is I had my tank at 25c when I introduced the fish to the tank, and after adding the fish I turned it down to 24c, and then I kept it like that for 2 weeks to a month, and then turned it down to 23c and so on. It took a while but the tank is setting at 21c now, and the fish didn't seem to notice.

But if anybody else has a better method than me please let me know.

As for flow again no expert but they would properly prefer lower flow, so they can cruise around easily, that seems to be the case with my auranti. But I do have enough flow so there's not really any despots in the tank.

On a side note what kind of substrate do you use? If you use sand or something along those lines, make sure the stone and wood is pretty stable, most snakeheads like to dig so you don't want anything sliding unto your fish. This was not something I knew when I got the auranti, so I had to re scape a little bit.

James Harry

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2018
Hi weedmand, thanks for the reply that was what i was thinking of doing, just wanted to double check lol.
As for the scape everything seems solid, I'm used to digging lol as my african cichlids loved to dig lol.
How are you finding them so far?

weedmand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Sounds like you are on the right track. My auranti has been very easy, since snakeheads don't like water changes, so there's barely any up keep. A good rule of thumb for snakeheads, is the more plants and places to hide you give them, the more you see the fish be out in the open, after my floating plants grew in, my auranti has been sitting at the front glass all day keeping an eye on everyone.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Aren't nights cold in india?
Pretty sure temps go from 25-28°C to 15°C in summer, and somewhere along the lines of 18 to 12 in winter. All of which happens within 24 hours.

Your method is safe and won't hurt anyone, but I don't think it is necessary. :)

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I'm an idiot.

Those are air temperatures.

Water does fluctuate a lot, but not quite that much.

Still think you're fine with faster changes, especially since spring is in one month, and with one degree every two weeks, you will not have had a winter cycle at all and will already want temps to start going up towards 22-24°C at the peak of summer.

Where are you from?

I'm in Belgium, and I just unplug my heater (can always have a failsafe heater at 17-18°C in case your country turns into an icecream in winter ;P)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store