CHANNA PULCHRA

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
It is really hard to sex this species so i dont wanna have a go on it. But my guess is a female but dont take me on my words on that as im not 100% sure. If you wanna find a mate to it all i can say is good luck since they are very agressive to other fish of the same species. I you want a pair you should buy a small group of lets say 8 individuals and let them pair up to one pair then sell the rest. Thats your best shot IMO.

But lets see whats headbanger_jib headbanger_jib has to say about it. I think he is more qualified to answer this then me.

lostnomad

Feeder Fish
Jul 4, 2019
thank you for the quick response. so i got her (my gut tells me it’s a she) back in March and now it has grown to about slightly more then a foot long.

would pairing be risky? do i need to get the same species and similar size to try?

worried they get too aggressive when i introduce the new mate into the tank

Reactions: tlindsey

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Id say it is possible to pull it off but it is risky since they are highly aggressive towards its iwn kind. I used to have a pulchra in one of my tanks. Had 8 to start with ended up with 4 or 5 before i traded them for an comfirmed pair of asiatica instead.

The easiest way to get a pair is like i said to start out with a group and let them pair up the rehome the remaining individuals.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
It is really hard to sex this species so i dont wanna have a go on it. But my guess is a female but dont take me on my words on that as im not 100% sure. If you wanna find a mate to it all i can say is good luck since they are very agressive to other fish of the same species. I you want a pair you should buy a small group of lets say 8 individuals and let them pair up to one pair then sell the rest. Thats your best shot IMO.
The above is what most do when you need a pair among channas, when they're not sexually dimorphic.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
thank you for the quick response. so i got her (my gut tells me it’s a she) back in March and now it has grown to about slightly more then a foot long.

would pairing be risky? do i need to get the same species and similar size to try?

worried they get too aggressive when i introduce the new mate into the tank
Channa can't be paired like cichlids, that is, keep a divider and then introduce them and hope for the best.

Channa pulchra are not sexually dimorphic, so identifying male or female just by looking is not possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store