Cheers! C.r.e.a.m

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I've been changing lots of water and swapping sumps around, and not drinking nearly enough, so a hot toddy in October and chears!

Here I'm putting old media in my new 42g custom built sump from Visio. It serves the 55g Mono tank ($59 @ Petco) above. Steel stand also Petco @ $71 USD, prices include tax, shipped to my LFS and were sale prices.

The new sump was $226 shipped to my LFS, including tax. It's 15.5x42" & the max lenhth sump to fit under the 48"tank above, but also 3" wider & only 16" tall.

I made a nice wood platten to carry the sump, and 1/8" short so it would fit, but it grew that 1/8" back from soaking up 5 coats of rubbed polyurethane. :cry: It didn't fit. That's when I heated up the rum.

See the socket wrench next to my toddy on the desk? I loosened the bottom bolts on the steel stand, crouched with 500 lbs of water and gravel above me, and I jammed it in.

Then I tightened it down after I had some water in the sump. And 4 baskets of media & substrate from the old one.
42c.jpg
That 16g bowfront is gone now, and the new sump is also my brackish fry tank. It was the fish's idea. They all swam down the siphons to avoid being eaten. I put them in the bowfront to grow out some. Now they are living it up.
42a.jpg

The previous 20g sump for comparison.
fr1.jpg

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I've been changing lots of water and swapping sumps around, and not drinking nearly enough, so a hot toddy in October and chears!

Here I'm putting old media in my new 42g custom built sump from Visio. It serves the 55g Mono tank ($59 @ Petco) above. Steel stand also Petco @ $71 USD, prices include tax, shipped to my LFS and were sale prices.

The new sump was $226 shipped to my LFS, including tax. It's 15.5x42" & the max lenhth sump to fit under the 48"tank above, but also 3" wider & only 16" tall.

I made a nice wood platten to carry the sump, and 1/8" short so it would fit, but it grew that 1/8" back from soaking up 5 coats of rubbed polyurethane. :cry: It didn't fit. That's when I heated up the rum.

See the socket wrench next to my toddy on the desk? I loosened the bottom bolts on the steel stand, crouched with 500 lbs of water and gravel above me, and I jammed it in.

Then I tightened it down after I had some water in the sump. And 4 baskets of media & substrate from the old one.
View attachment 1392837
That 16g bowfront is gone now, and the new sump is also my brackish fry tank. It was the fish's idea. They all swam down the siphons to avoid being eaten. I put them in the bowfront to grow out some. Now they are living it up.
View attachment 1392839

The previous 20g sump for comparison.
View attachment 1392840
Looks good Ulu Ulu are you using a diy overflow on this system?

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
That’s an awesome set up great looking bass. I’ve been considering setting up a table between my tanks been super paranoid of a cue or ball flying through a tank ?
Me too, not so worried on the 600 gallon (3/4” acrylic) but the 180 gallon definitely a concern. Pool is a game of touch no need to kill the pool balls into the pockets although sometimes it’s necessary for emphasis ?

Reactions: TheWolfman

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Me too, not so worried on the 600 gallon (3/4” acrylic) but the 180 gallon definitely a concern. Pool is a game of touch no need to kill the pool balls into the pockets although sometimes it’s necessary for emphasis ?
Dont slam your balls in the pockets that hard man. :ROFL: :ROFL:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Looks good Ulu Ulu are you using a diy overflow on this system?
3 of them. One at full flow 23/7, one throttled to about 10% max flow, and one just at a trickle for emergencies.

But I didn't post pix of it because it's a hodge-podge right now. 3 different pipes from 3 older setups, jammed together.
And at that, these were made up from cut up bits of still older systems and experiments.

I need to glue up some fancy new plumbing for this setup.

20191023_152738_resized.jpg

20191023_152656.jpg

It's a cobbled up mess, but it's reliable enough that I'm not afraid to leave the house.
There's a lot of bubbles because the system wasn't running at capacity. I had the pump on only 5% but I can run it up to about 150 gph (50%) without issues. This pumps 1000 GPH at 0' or about 260 max at 34" head, but the drains aren't able to handle it.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
3 of them. One at full flow 23/7, one throttled to about 10% max flow, and one just at a trickle for emergencies.

But I didn't post pix of it because it's a hodge-podge right now. 3 different pipes from 3 older setups, jammed together.
And at that, these were made up from cut up bits of still older systems and experiments.

View attachment 1392860

View attachment 1392861

It's a cobbled up mess, but it's reliable enough that I'm not afraid to leave the house.
There's a lot of bubbles because the system wasn't running at capacity. I had the pump on only 5% but I can run it up to about 150 gph (50%) without issues. This pumps 1000 GPH at 0' or about 260 max at 34" head, but the drains aren't able to handle it.
That’s awesome, I like that you aren’t afraid to push it. I had great results with my diy overflow for my drip that I ran on my 220 for about 2 years without a hiccup. I just took that tank down but it ran great. A lot of people give the diy overflow a bad wrap, and I understand why, but I think that if you set it up right they can be reliable. It appears you have mastered it.

Reactions: Ulu and Matteus

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va

View attachment 1392860

View attachment 1392861

Ulu Ulu I follow if isn’t broke don’t mess with it theory. I also run diy overflow I have had one running for 7 years on my 40 gallon grow out tank, heck I even moved and kept the diy overflow upright and full it started right up when I set up the tank again.

That’s awesome, I like that you aren’t afraid to push it. I had great results with my diy overflow for my drip that I ran on my 220 for about 2 years without a hiccup. I just took that tank down but it ran great. A lot of people give the diy overflow a bad wrap, and I understand why, but I think that if you set it up right they can be reliable. It appears you have mastered it.
Agreed!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store