Chicagoland Pet shops

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
So it is hard to find some good pet shops for cichlids,rays and oddball fish in the Chicagoland area. I can name a few that are good but wanted to know where you guys shop at? I live in the Downers Grove area so ill start

Bolingbrook/Schaumburg Aquarium adventure- They're stock is okay not great

Trop Aquatics in Lombard- Cichlids is pretty good has odd ball fish like rays etc

Old orchard aquarium in Skokie Only place I know that sell pretty decent price flowerhorns

Aquatica in Tinley park Forgot how they are its been a long time

Golden aquarium in Chicago Very expensive flowerhorn but imports from thailand

Animal Island in Midothilan- Have odd ball fish no flowerhorn but is very small

GCCA SWAP MEET Best place ever lol (greater Chicago Cichlid Association) GCCA.net

Anyone else want to add anything else? I searched and took me a while to find any good shops so I want to make a thread for people who come across this from Chicagoland Area. I been to a lot of pet shops and most of them suck lol

If anyone wants to give reviews please do so!

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I've got a few saltwater ones but I don't think any of them carry much more than typical monsters.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
I've been to Aquarium Adventure in Schaumnurg area several times. Seems very over priced and their fish don't look the healthiest.

I like Old Orchard, but their prices are high as well. They had a cichla farmie for $100 for a 6"....thought that was insane for a basic peacock bass

I go to Reefwise in Lisle for all my saltwater fish. Great place, selection and prices.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I've been to Aquarium Adventure in Schaumnurg area several times. Seems very over priced and their fish don't look the healthiest.

I like Old Orchard, but their prices are high as well. They had a cichla farmie for $100 for a 6"....thought that was insane for a basic peacock bass

I go to Reefwise in Lisle for all my saltwater fish. Great place, selection and prices.
Old orchard does have high priced items but I mainly go in to buy Flowerhorn and they had very nice SRD male nice kok got 89.99.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty

Aquarium adventure is over priced but I get coupons in the mail for 40 percent off fish at times. The Bolingbrook location gets some oddball items that people donate that go for a good price since most are monster fish like arowana pacu shovel fish and many more big fish.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Every lfs is expensive around here. You'll find the random good deal because someone either traded in a fish or it was donated.

I might check out golden aquarium soon I need a bonsai male FH.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Just went to Golden aquarium. Beautiful selection of high quality thailand imported flowerhorn. They had amarillo amp, arowanas, dovii, escondido/blood parrot, tons of vieja species and many more. Tons of bichirs some oddball fish like nile perch, red tail cats. They even had king king parrots at 24.99 and getting in red mammon but he told me those are gonna be above 100 once they get them in. Everything is priced really well but the flowerhorn were all 180.00.

I'm still looking locally for a bonsai flowerhorn male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store