Chicx's Goonch Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Quick cell phine pic from tonight. She's normally really up in those rocks and is hard to get a picture of. As you can see, I've been weaning my tank offf of the black water. She seems to prefer the hard water, which doesn't really surprise me.

uploadfromtaptalk1372308343687.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Guys, I'm beginning to think that my original assessment of this species from way back when may have actually been correct: this might be rutilus.

As my girl Dottie grows and grows, she keeps growing. For a supposed dwarf goonch, that's an issue lol. The literature states that the dwarves are not supposed to exceed 8", but as I was doing my most recent water change, I was able to measure her. She was just a hair under 10" long and a bit longer even, if you count her streamer.

Plus, her fins are getting to be a very bright yellowish orange.

Check it out:

20130906dottie.png

20130906dottie.png

cgibby

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
U.S.
I had a suspicion she wasn't done growing lol those fins are drastically different in color since the last pic you posted time will tell just enjoy the ride as it all pans out

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
who in MFK has a proven "dwarf" goonch?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Did they look like this one Wes? I'm inclined to agree with you (as usual lol). I'm just confused because that orange color took a while to develop. When she was smaller I really thought she was a dwarf based on the lack if color. In Dr. Ng's paper, orange fins were a major diagnostic trait. Is it possible the color doesn't really develop until they're sub adults?

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Well, the ones I had with obvious orange fins were all big, so that could be true. However with the ones that I have on hand right now, there may be 2-3 kinds mixed in the group. But...even with the ones I got directly out of India, I kept 3 that I grew from 4" size, and they are 19,22,23" each, the 19" is much lighter colored, and less mottled, and does not hang out with the other ones.

Did they look like this one Wes? I'm inclined to agree with you (as usual lol). I'm just confused because that orange color took a while to develop. When she was smaller I really thought she was a dwarf based on the lack if color. In Dr. Ng's paper, orange fins were a major diagnostic trait. Is it possible the color doesn't really develop until they're sub adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store