Chicxulub's Nature Preserve (carnivorous plants, orchids, etc)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Nice @chicxclub!

Do you plan to replant any trees or are they already resprouting?
Also does your area have any of the native epiphytic bromes?
There are several species of epiphytic bromeliads! Unfortunately none of them happen to be carnivorous as well. The carnivorous species are down in south florida, several hundred miles away from me.

As to the resprouting of trees, that's kinda the opposite of what I'm going for. The Southeastern Coastal Plain is supposed to be an open savanna habitat, similar to what one would imagine when thinking of Africa. Lots of grasses, big herbivores, few trees (mostly pines). Fire suppression and logging over the past century has rendered the pine savanna 99.9% extinct. My property is mostly intact, but with a few extra broadleaf trees that need to be removed and is currently about 5 years overdue for a fire-simulating disturbance (mowing). Letting all the trees come in without a disturbance is why this habitat, which is rivaled only by the Amazon rainforest for diversity, is as a whole critically endangered.

Im jealous of all the plants you have growing wild down there. The sundew plants in particular look awesome.
It's a privilege! It took me three and a half years to track down the ideal property. I knew I had the right one when I stumbled across the yellow pitcher plants. :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Rob,do you intend to build anything on the land?

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Rob,do you intend to build anything on the land?
I'm going to build a house on the access easement at the front of the property. The vast majority of the cool stuff I'm sharing here wont' be harmed, and the few that would be have been identified and will be moved this winter when they go dormant.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Wow thats super Awesome! Id love to live somewhere like that. We made a bog garden this summer and its "portable". I've brought it inside for the winter along with our goji berry plant. I'm hoping I can get them safely through the winter inside and maybe put them out early next spring for a short hibernation period before summer gets into swing again. Mostly flytraps and pitcher plants. They did great on my deck this summer though.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Very nice! I would love to pay a visit :)
We have plenty of indigenous carnivores ourselves, Drosera and the likes. Would love to go and visit your little slice of wonder!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Wow thats super Awesome! Id love to live somewhere like that. We made a bog garden this summer and its "portable". I've brought it inside for the winter along with our goji berry plant. I'm hoping I can get them safely through the winter inside and maybe put them out early next spring for a short hibernation period before summer gets into swing again. Mostly flytraps and pitcher plants. They did great on my deck this summer though.
That's awesome! It's cool to see another carnivorous plant keeper here :)

Very nice! I would love to pay a visit :)
We have plenty of indigenous carnivores ourselves, Drosera and the likes. Would love to go and visit your little slice of wonder!
Southern Africa has some really cool stuff! Y'all are a Drosera hotspot. I'd love to come see your part of the world too, maybe we could swap for a week lol

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I wouldn't mind! I'm not too knowledgeable on the local plants (because fynbos) but have found all manner of critters in my rambles around the country! That said, I'm definitely getting some Drosera after exams!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store