Chin chin yu....doctor fish?

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
Hey everyone. I just saw the a doctor show and they had someone from China come and show everyone how a doctor fish does it's thing. However, the fish that were on the show looked no where like the one's that's been posted on this thread. The kind of look like skinny silver goldfish feeders. No color or stripes at all. Actually, kind of a boring looking fish. The Doctor

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
Wow they look pretty good for a tilapia

they should be like your average tilapia eats any thing and ALOT of it

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2314169; said:
is there any conspecific aggression between the juvenile tilapias?
I moved them from the quarantine tank into my 75 gallon 'swamp' where I keep a few fish that just don't fit in any where else.

Conspecific aggression seems typical for juvenile african cichlids. The larger (male?) will chase the others away during feeding time but doesn't harass the fronts, labs, zebras or polypterus that live in the rock pile.

In the picture below you can see some damage to the dermis of the maxilla of one of the smaller pair.There was some lose skin but the wound healed very fast. I don't know if it resulted from some lip locking or not, as I was at work when it hapened.

In general the finnage and skin of these fish looks good, which would indicate that they don't scrap very much....yet.

Female 13 Oct 08.jpg

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
The tilapia are continuing to grow at an alarming rate. I've added rabbit pellets as a suplement and was suprised to find that my polypterus enjoy them as well.

The male, shown below is developing some red and blue undertones. He has red lips most of the time which look strange against his otherwise drab apearance...

Future Denizen.jpg

Male with two year old Frontosa.jpg

In a picture above you can see his size when compared to a two year old Frontosa. Here is a picture of one of the smaller (female?) tilapia.

Female 25 Oct.jpg

Anyone else keeping these fish?

DSC01633.JPG

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
they use them here like for spa, a bit expensive here ,but just for now hehehe

Ransom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
Derbyshire / England
there some nice fish i wish i had found something like that in my LFS i would love to see some 1month 2 months 3months pics to see what sort of size these fish grow at

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
A long time ago I had a few O. niloticus mixed in with a bunch of red morph O. mossambicus in my outdoor pond (I grew up in the middle east). I recall that they grew very quickly to about 10" (a little faster than the mossambicus) but slowed down a lot after that. The pond was very poorly filtered which may have been the problem. They seemed fairly similar in terms of behaviour and appetite to the mossambicus but I never liked them as much because I didn't think their colors were as nice.

I think it's funny how these guys are being marketed as "doctor fish" simply because they will nibble on skin. The baby mossambicus would also sometimes nibble on my hands when I stuck them in my pond but it never felt particularly therapeutic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store