chinese perch ?

VNCNT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
rand mcnally
i've done searches for info on chinese perch and i thought i'd ask someone knowledgeable in this fish to post the info here. i've grown tired of trying to piece together scattered info.

i would like to know basic care info such as:

temp:
size:
growth rate:
food:
tank mates:
tank size:
etc...

basically just guidelines.

thanks!

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
thats my question too and thx for posting lol i was going to post,i know there max size is 2 ft or 20" and growth rate is usally 1" or little more,food is pellets,market prawn and others i dont know,tankmates anything that doesnt fit in its mouth,tank size should be 6x2x2 min i say and etc they have a big mouth!!!!!!!!!!!

VNCNT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
rand mcnally
iLoveHebe;2996884; said:
thats my question too and thx for posting lol i was going to post,i know there max size is 2 ft or 20" and growth rate is usally 1" or little more,food is pellets,market prawn and others i dont know,tankmates anything that doesnt fit in its mouth,tank size should be 6x2x2 min i say and etc they have a big mouth!!!!!!!!!!!
your barramundi thread is what really made me post. haha. i've been looking for info for a few days now and haven't really found what i was looking for. someone please post the info:grinno:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
fish_geek85;2996811; said:
i've done searches for info on chinese perch and i thought i'd ask someone knowledgeable in this fish to post the info here. i've grown tired of trying to piece together scattered info.

i would like to know basic care info such as:

temp: Cool water, I keep mine low 70s. Aquaculture reports show they'll live in water in the lower 50s
size: 24-30" as adults, I had one that was over 20"
growth rate: over an inch a month, slowing as they age
food: If you're lucky enough to get them off of live, they'll take frozen fish fillets, shrimp, smelt, and sometimes pellets.
tank mates:Anything that won't fit in their mouth or harrass them. They're very docile unless they can eat the other fish (their mouths are huge)
tank size: needs to be at minimum 3x as long as the fish and deep enough for them to turn around. They're not very active fish.
etc...

basically just guidelines.

thanks!
That covers the basics, let me know what else you'd like to know. There is a ton of recipes out there for them, just not a lot on keeping them.

VNCNT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
rand mcnally
awesome. thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks rallysman!!!

would there be any health problems if i kept a chinese perch in a tank with a temp between 78-82 degrees? i only ask because i was planning on putting him in my tank with an arowana and silver dollars.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
fish_geek85;2997179; said:
awesome. thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks rallysman!!!

would there be any health problems if i kept a chinese perch in a tank with a temp between 78-82 degrees? i only ask because i was planning on putting him in my tank with an arowana and silver dollars.
I have kept my old one for quite some time in a tank that was in the 80s, sometimes high 80s. They become quite lethargic in warmer tanks and seem to want to eat more, but they're always hungry lol.

Mine eventually got an internal parasite that I couldn't seem to cure, but I don't think it was temperature related.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
fish_geek85;2997240; said:
cool. i'll try it out in my tank. i just hope it takes pellets or frozen foods...
Depending on it's size, don't try too hard for prepared foods. Keep a catfish or something to clean up after it. If it hits the bottom they'll ignore it. They also tend to ignore floating food. Throw the food in to get their attention. Also throw feeders in if they ignore dead food. Eventually they'll get the idea that throwing food in (splash) equals a meal. If it's big, try tying a chunk of shrimp onto a line loosely and go fishing. Once they get the taste they usually get the hint. No matter what the case is, avoid starving them for too long especially if they're small (6" or under).

calisucks

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
I keep mine in 86-88 degrees. Seem to be doing fine. Pretty active, as you can see from my past video post or in person.. hah. Its not to hard to get them off live food. Just time and patients. :)

VNCNT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
rand mcnally
calisucks;2997258; said:
I keep mine in 86-88 degrees. Seem to be doing fine. Pretty active, as you can see from my past video post or in person.. hah. Its not to hard to get them off live food. Just time and patients. :)
your chinese perch is the reason why i want one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store