Choosing Substrate for my tank

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
Hi guys. I want to ask you guys a question. It is been a while since i kept a fish. Now i want to try using a substrate like sand or amazon soil or somethings like that without using real plants. I am using 60cm x 40 cm x 40 cm and using a internal filter ( it is a chinese brand call boyu, perhaps some of you guys from asia will recognize it)with double canister. If i am using the substrate, will the current from my filter blow my sand all the time or is it okay to use substrate? Thanks

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
always the potential for sand to get in there especially if its fine like the type youre suggesting. you could try to rig a foam prefilter over the intakes of the filters. thats how i set up my ac110s with sandy substrate cause theyre finicky filters.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use pool filter sand, it is sized and dense enough to fall quickly back into place after a backwash, so not as easily stirred up the way finer grain sand (like play sand) does. Pool supply outlets usually carry it.
For me it works all with, or without plants.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
The only reason I’ve ever had sand in my filters was when my jerk faced fish would grab mouthfuls and spit it into the intake. If you’re not doing plants I wouldn’t waste the money on ada substrates, pool filter sand will work just as well for a 1/4 of the cost.

Reactions: tlindsey

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
Okaaay. You guys are really helpful, thanks a lot and especially for the picture. I am gonna think twice then. How about something less finer like silica sand that is made for aquarium use?

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
Oh yeah. And i sometimes still confuse. Does it really hurt fish if we are not using substrate since some people said that the reflection of the light will hurt their eye?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I used glass bottoms, as I got tired of cleaning.
They will try to swim down through it sometimes.

I have fish that have grown up inside an algea scrubber. With very bright light, on 24x7. They seem fine, and grew just as fast as their siblings.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I base what substrate I use on what I want to keep in the tank. If you intend to keep corydoras, or other bottom sifters, something like sand is best.

I kept a fine black sand in my 29g for a while. I HATED it. Too fine, constantly got into my HOB impeller (even with a sponge pre-filter) and would get stirred up during water changes no matter how careful I was. I eventually changed that tank back to a fine grained natural gravel. I agree with the above in that if sand is a must, use pool filter sand or something a bit larger grained.

For big messier fish, I like to use a mix of black and natural gravel. It hides the turds between weekly vacuuming.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
Okay so using a bare bottom is okay? I will think about it again then.. i am planning for keeping a senegal bichir for a while or leopard ctenopoma. Do they need some substrate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store