3 Angels
2 Discus
1 Apistos

DVS969

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
A scale is useless, I have had a Male severum that owned everything in the tank (Dovii, Jag, Cuban) and a Male Dovii that was a *****, so i would say its all to do with the nature of the fish.

RiskEE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2010
Los Angeles
so dose flowerhorns count

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I've had great success with sculping certain cichlids during developement. IE... A kirbensis raised on its own from a early age in a relatively peaceful community tank of adequite size(55 gallon) is far less agressive than one raised in a species tank of the same size. The aggressive Kirb can never be kept with neons and betas or angel fish. but the community raised ones tend to do fine. Even combining ones raised in a community setting later in life results in less aggression. I probably could get published for this but I'm a modest guy.

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
lol these threads are funny.. bring your red devil or midas too my house and throw it in with my 9" female texas... make sure its about 12+ " too so it's a fair fight.... i have always said it's individual fish... but after experience i would say it's a territory factor... if you have a big enough tank for each fish to have a territory i think you would be good...

and o yea i got a spot faced pike on the way and i know a kid whose larger dovii got wrecked by one of these.... it's all personality but territorial fish are going to go psycho on any fish that goes into their territory even if bigger....

don't condone fish fighting but when you wake up in the middle of the night to slamming noises on the other side of the house and a larger fish is getting dragged(dead) by a smaller one you will know what aggression is

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
For those who say a ranking is useless because everything depends on individual fish, you're basically saying that we should mix whatever fish we want and hope for the best.

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
bbortko;4567167; said:
For those who say a ranking is useless because everything depends on individual fish, you're basically saying that we should mix whatever fish we want and hope for the best.

But why not? We're all appreciative of the 'rule of thumb' but how can that simply be the rule? I try to avoid these threads because they're so pointless but there are so many examples of people successfully keeping the seemingly most aggressive with other fish, it's nigh on impossible to slap a single species with a label.

Here’s my example- Mr. X's RD is kept in a 120g tank and is 12". it won't allow anything in the tank to clean it, much less other fish. Mrs. Y has an RD that she keeps in a 180g with an assortment of other fish. it's also 12" and is at the top of the pecking order but tolerates all of its tank mates.

Now rather than saying that all RD's are silly aggressive, I would be more inclined to look at the variables to ascertain why MR.X's RD is a mental and Mrs. Y isn't. Tank size, acquisition date/size, diet and feeding regime, cleaning schedule, room activity, tank decor and obviously tank mates are all pertinent things to consider. Yes, some species are more aggressive than others but environmental factors are just as likely to have an effect.

My 2p.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store