Cichlid Tank PH?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since the average pH of the African rift lakes hovers between 8 and 9, that would be preferable, but my tap pH sits around 7.8, and the rift lake species did well, and spawned successfully.
I believe more than pH, high water quality with lots of water changes is the key.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Since the average pH of the African rift lakes hovers between 8 and 9, that would be preferable, but my tap pH sits around 7.8, and the rift lake species did well, and spawned successfully.
I believe more than pH, high water quality with lots of water changes is the key.

^
This

Sir Speedy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
Florida
Thanks guys I don’t believe in chasing the ph either. I’m not sure what my ph from my tap is but I’ll check tomorrow. I’ve design the system so that my water changes are easy. I plan on 20% weekly. Does that sound good or too little?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If your tank water drops in pH, from say from 7.8 to 6.9 in a week, then more and larger water changes may be need, if it only drops from 7.8 to 7.6 then your once per week changes may be sufficient.
It really depends on the buffering capacity of your tap water.
If you alkalinity is high, eg 100ppm, you will have enough buffering capacity neutralize the fish urine (uric acid=pH drop).
If your alkalinity is low <40ppm your pH will drop quickly as your tank water turns to predominantly fish urine.
You can usually find out the alkalinityof your tap water by googling your cities water quality report, or by calling them and posing questions.
When I was a chemist/microbiologist at a water supplier, I fielded many of these type questions.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store