• No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

scooter

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Raleigh, NC
What do you guys think about a Cichlid Turtle Combo Tank ? I found a yellow ear slider about a year ago getting blown across the street by the wind , picked the little guy up and threw him in my 55 by himself until January when I came across the first Red Texas id been looking for like 6 years so I had to snatch him up and the two coexisted so well I have even begun adding more fish 1 flowerhorn, 1 manganese, 1 dovii, 1 green terror , 1 jack Dempsey ,1 Eclipse Catfish, 1 Pleco ... everything is peaceful and coexisting well does anyone else have experience with this... I will be upgrading to a 350 Gallon Plywood Aquarium I’m currently building!

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Your tank is much too small for the turtle alone. Lol. But in a bigger tank I’ve seen turtles and cichlids co-exist. Not that I recommend it, but I have seen it work.

Granted that tank did not have a Dovii, but who knows. It’s kind of something you’ll just have to wait and see. If your turtle starts taking chunks out of the fish, or the fish start harassing the turtle too much. The biggest issues I’ve seen with turtles in fish tanks is them getting stuck behind decor and drowning.

Reactions: scooter

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Probably do-able but I would be worried about the turtle taking a chunk out of a fish. Once they bite down they don't let go. Red eared slider almost took the end my finger off once.
Also, your stock list will be tough to get to work even in a 350. The dovii might just not want to share it. Especially with other parachromis species.
Good luck.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
They can to a degree, I had some red eared sliders in a tank with my Oscar a while back. They co-existed fairly well, but the turtles did harass the Oscar on occasion. They would bit his tail and then he would swing around to defend himself going after them. They would let go and then they would be fine for a few days and it would happen again. As the turtles get bigger through they tend to harass the fish more. After long enough they may try to eat him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store