Cichlids which can take cooler temps - if need be?

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
I might look into uruguyan crenicichla... not sure
yet.

I may just get some sort of catfish or something....

CrazyAq.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
can i have red devil or midas in cold water 18Celsiums or lower ? I have spotted gar in my 200gallons he eats danio feeders and pallets i think i will add the red devil or midas in local fish store have lot of red devils for good price i think i will add him to tank 1 or 2 can be cold water ?

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
18 Celsius is to low for any Amphilophus spp, while they can live at that temperature for a short period it will kill them, and there is a risk that they will pick up infections as there immune system won't be working properly which can be passed onto your gar.

CrazyAq.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2017
18 Celsius is to low for any Amphilophus spp, while they can live at that temperature for a short period it will kill them, and there is a risk that they will pick up infections as there immune system won't be working properly which can be passed onto your gar.
Ok which cichlid can be cold water ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here are some cold water cichlids, these will tolerate a fairly lengthy amount of time in the cold.
most from the genus Gymnogeophagus (although balzani is a bit more sensitive)
many from the genus Australoheros
some of the pike cichlids, but maybe only those from south of the Brazilian border
I have kept all the above in unheated tanks, where the water temp falls to 50'F without problems, I have also kept them in ponds in Milwaukee where summertime water temps can drop into the 50sF
Although most Central American cichlids will take short drops in temps, anything more than a few days can be fatal.
I tried Cinilichthys bocourti and pearsei in my pond, in July in Milwaukee, and they didn't make it thru a one week minor cool down.

Reactions: dan518

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thorichthys can all handle low temps except meeki and pasionis.
Although these may be too small for you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store