cichlids with bgk

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
I currently have 5 firemouths and a sen. bichir in my 125 and everything is great! Sounds like y'all have been discribing my tank lol. I just tryed uploading some pictures but am having some trouble so ill try again on my computer later.
awesome, would love to see when you can post pics

Reactions: tlindsey

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
its going to be a 125 gallon with one or two leopard ctenopomas, a black ghost knife fish, 6-8 clown loaches, and a striped raphael catfish or a poly haven't decided yet everything will be juvenile when entered around 2-3 inches then in roughly 3 years when some have outgrown tank will be upped
It doesn't have to be either/or with the raphael cat and the senegal bichir. You can get both with your setup.

geos are kinda pricey to have a group with them being 19 a piece, how many firemouths would you suggest?
Geophagus can be kept singly or in groups. I've always kept them singly, never in groups, and they've always done well in my tank. Just make sure if you choose a cichlid, whichever species you buy, it isn't too aggressive, and if you buy more than one, you don't want to get a male/female pair as they would become hyper-aggressive. This is true even for a cichlid as mellow and peaceful as a geophagus.

So, a stocking of the following with tank decordations would fill out a 125 gallon nicely:

1x Black Ghost Knife
1x or 2x Leopard Ctenopomas
1x Geophagus
8x Clown Loaches
1x Senegal Bichir
1x Striped Raphael Catfish

Last edited:

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
My senegal and Raphael 8 out of 10 times nap together after a big meal. Today they chose the heater to sleep by.
awesome, would love to see when you can post pics
There are the firemouths you wanted to see as well. While I have no bgk atm everything else you have talked about is in there.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store