Cinder Block Stand for 120g?

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
I want to stack it to 3ft tall. so lets just say 1 cinder block = 1ft. and the 2 ends of the tank can i put 3 cinder blocks under the tank and then also for the middle (for more support). would this work? thanks guys

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

10 foot stand for my 55 and 84. No issues at all. I built the top with 2x4s and 3/4" plywood for extra support. Rock solid, no movement.

In my opinion ugly as a mud fence though.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
thats awesome man, am not terrbly worried about the looks as it will be hidden. looks like you cemented the blocks together? i plan on doing the same for +support will also do the plywood like you did. guess i dont need the middle support thanks again

z400

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Illinois
You can even paint the concrete blocks if you want to sweeten the appearance up some.

I was going to build a cinder block stand to hold roughly 10-15 tanks.
Changed my mind and am not going to put up that many tanks now.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
thats awesome man, am not terrbly worried about the looks as it will be hidden. looks like you cemented the blocks together? i plan on doing the same for +support will also do the plywood like you did. guess i dont need the middle support thanks again
No cement, I placed pieces of wood between the cinder blocks. I felt it stabilized it a little better, and I was able to level the stand by varing the thickness of wood

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Not really, it was just a little piece of mind that each block had a solid base to sit on. I have done it both with and without wood in between the blocks.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Standard cinder blocks are 8" x 8" x 16" if I am remembering correctly.

You should always have a middle support if you can, especially once you get into larger tanks (I consider anything more than 55 gal "large"). On a 120 with that much rock, I would absolutely do a middle support. To be honest, I'd probably run two middle support stack of cinder blocks (for a total of four stacked columns under the tank, equally spaced) with a nice wood support running along the top. Cinder blocks are dirt cheap, wouldn't hurt.

I had a 55 and a 60 stacked with cinder blocks as base for awhile until I upgraded, I still use them for a couple of my smaller tanks. Super sturdy and super cheap, can't beat em.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store