Cinder Block Stand for 120g?

z400

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Illinois
I can see how the wood would actually improve the stand.
It ties in the blocks from tier to tier if you run wood from one tier to the other.

With a small slab of wood between each block, i could understand how that may be a more solid,flat and true surface for each block
rather then stacking them block to block.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
It sure has served me well, but it is time to clean up the look since it is in my living room.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Standard cinder blocks are 8" x 8" x 16" if I am remembering correctly.

You should always have a middle support if you can, especially once you get into larger tanks (I consider anything more than 55 gal "large"). On a 120 with that much rock, I would absolutely do a middle support. To be honest, I'd probably run two middle support stack of cinder blocks (for a total of four stacked columns under the tank, equally spaced) with a nice wood support running along the top. Cinder blocks are dirt cheap, wouldn't hurt.

I had a 55 and a 60 stacked with cinder blocks as base for awhile until I upgraded, I still use them for a couple of my smaller tanks. Super sturdy and super cheap, can't beat em.
okay am thinking 4pillers will be enough for me to sleep at night. its a 6' long tank so every 1.5 feet i need to put the pillers apart right? exuse my bad math i just got up was at disneyland with my buds till like 1am...

z400

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Illinois
3 would be fine but you need to make sure they cover more then the width of the tank to make it stable front to back.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Your tank is 18.5" wide right? Cinder block is 15.75" on the long end, so you would be better to have a column at each corner with the long side of the block running with the length of the tank. This would leave you with about a 40" span unsupported, IMO that would be fine.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I would stack them in a "T" pattern. Kinda like this:

Three colums of cinder blocks will be more than enough. Build you a frame for the top of 2x4 and plywood. You can add plywood in bertween the blocks for a shelf like I did. Remember these things hold up houses, it will hold your tank and let you sleep like a baby for years.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
You have a 120g tank that is 6 foot long and 2 foot wide? How tall is it?

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, That is an above shot. Used this once, incredibly stable. I don't use it now because the stand is on wood floor, before it was on carpet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store