cleaning tank w/ out sucking up eggs

derk dastardlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
i want to breed feeder fish, i was wondering how to clean the tank w/ out sucking up the eggs.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
just hold off cleaning for a couple days until they hatch. What type fish are you gonna breed for feeders?

me_wee_todded

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Permian Basin
www.myspace.com
probably concivts if it lays eggs and is for feeders.
Most times you can see the eggs. you can gravel vac...just dont gravel vac the eggs:D

Marc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Allentown
try using the gravel vac with a brine shrimp net on it if you have to clean it, even if you do accidentaly suck up eggs it wont end up in the bucket with yuck water. otherwise i would hold off untill the eggs hatch..

derk dastardlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
yeah, i was thinking convicts, thanks for the suggestions.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Convict eggs are adhesive and laid all together in one spot,it would be work to vaccum them up.once the fry are swimming then it becomes difficult to clean the tank

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
Most farms use a high curent as to super oxygenate the water and dose with meth blue after moving the adult fish or seperating the eggs into another tank. Either way the egg tanks are only given a water change not syphoned.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Breeder tanks are best to be left bare bottom. That way you won't suck up fry that are hiding in the gravel. Also, you can see exactly what is in the tank. Instead of using a gravel vac, you just use a narrow pipe on a hose. You then syphon the debris to a waste bucket.

Some parenting fish such as convicts will chew up the food that you add and then spit it out so that the fry can easily eat it. It will end up as a frothy mess that looks like poo. You will have to resist the urge to keep the tanks spotless until the fry grow.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
CHOMPERS;800308; said:
Breeder tanks are best to be left bare bottom. That way you won't suck up fry that are hiding in the gravel. Also, you can see exactly what is in the tank. Instead of using a gravel vac, you just use a narrow pipe on a hose. You then syphon the debris to a waste bucket.

Some parenting fish such as convicts will chew up the food that you add and then spit it out so that the fry can easily eat it. It will end up as a frothy mess that looks like poo. You will have to resist the urge to keep the tanks spotless until the fry grow.

:iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store