Clown Loach breeding and export study

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I may have mentioned previously but there are some astounding numbers of clown loaches getting captive spawned. Late 2019 I visited several fish farms in Indonesia, with two of them producing clown loaches only. Other farms doing several loach species and some farms doing a wide range of fish including clown loaches.

The dedicated clown loach farm was selling over a million fish per month. Concrete vats as far as I could see containing multiple net cages. Makes you wonder how many clown loaches get sold world wide. Their inducing process was amazing. They use a production line of staff passing the fish down. Injection was right through the plastic bag. Hardly any water - no anesthetic used. I saw at least 300 fish induced in 10-15 minutes I watched.

Exotic$4me

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2023
Here is a link to an Aquarium Co-Op YouTube video interviewing a commercial clown loach breeder:

The fish farmer seems to induce breeding conditions through temperature and pH changes rather than using hormones. He describes the differences between males and females and how he fertilizes harvested eggs and sperm. There are four-line clown loaches that he is producing. It's interesting to watch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store