Clown Loach breeding and export study

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=556

Read through the article. Since it's an English article, I won't call it garbage, but in my opinion it is "rubbish". The last line is the real killer:

"So where are the pictures?
The pictures in this article are library images. I know what you are going to say - "If I did something as exciting as breed Clown loaches, why didn't I reach for my camera?".

Well, I did. The pictures came out, too, but they are presently stowed in a chest of drawers deep in a garage in Devon, with several tons of immovable builders' rubble between them and the door. To get them will literally mean raising the roof, but as soon as I am sorted you will see them, that's a promise.

This article was first published in the February 1996 issue of Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

It attracted criticism from readers who claimed the reader's spawning report was unsubstantiated. The author was unable to provide photographic evidence of the spawning.
"

That gets the obvious out of the way. No pictures, no way. He might have done better to say he made a diamond the size of George Michael appear on his coffee table but then lost the video and the diamond.

Now how about some more of the BS:

"In the freezer I had some whitebait that was used to feed Red-tailed cats; remembering what had happened to my friend's Giant danios, I decided to try a couple of whitebait. I have never seen such a reaction in "ordinary" tropical fish.

Frenzied feeding would be a complete understatement - the Clowns fought over the whitebait. I hurriedly put some more whitebait in the tank, as the aggression and clicks directed from one fish to another had to be seen to be believed.
"

Drop in some mussels, krill, fish, pretty much anything with a shoal of loaches, you'll see a feeding frenzy.

I had to add a canister filter to the tank, containing a nitrate-removing resin, as with all this extra feeding, nitrate levels had gone off the scale. The water readings were now pH 6.1 with no ammonia or nitrite; conductivity had risen to 450 microsiemens.

I want some of this nitrate removing resin!

The fish were now prowling up and down the tank as if distressed, but all the water parameters checked out fine - except the temperature, which was a couple of degrees higher than their usual 82�F.

Loaches do not move up and down the tank when distressed. The sit on the bottom and breathe heavily. In fact, I know my loaches are healthiest when they are moving up and down the tank, searching every crevice for food, and even "begging".

Mine were often at 86�F on my Discus system, with no problems. We did a large "cool" water change and everything returned to normal.

Large "cool" water change? Sounds like a recipe for ich disaster

An interesting point regarding the tank-bred fry, which were distributed to many other fishkeepers in many different parts of the county, was their resistance to white spot - even in tanks where other fish had succumbed.

Alright, maybe he didn't have pictures, but he gave away 450 fry, and not one person has come forward and said they received some or that they saw the fry?

This story is completely unsubstantiated. It is referred to often as the "it is too possible!" argument. The simple fact of the matter is that while it is possible, it has never happened in a natural manner. Until the exact conditions can be replicated during breeding in the natural habitat, it probably won't happen. Many fish have a series of "triggers" that lets them know when it is time to spawn. It would most likely be ridiculously and prohibitively expensive to create conditions in an aquarium that would allow for the natural triggers to take place in an aquarium.

DISCLAIMER: All of the info I posted is from the article, and my opinions of the information provided by the person that claims the successful spawning. I don't know the person, so I can't be positive. It's simply my opinion based on the information provided.

Reactions: Davidiator

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i call :bs:

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
This is the story of a Russian who successfully bred his Clown Loaches artificially. He used hormone injections. It's the only picture I have ever seen of tank raised fry. I have heard many stories of Asian fish farms breeding them this way. I have never seen any articles detailing the methods of these farms. I believe they are doing it, I just don't see any information out there that describes or substantiates the claim. Some claim that the majority of clown loaches for sale right now are hormone bred, but there isn't any information to support the claim and if there is, I would like to see it. It is my belief that a significant portion of the clown loaches for sale are wild caught in Borneo. The Sumatran clown loaches are also available, but most of the fish I see have the black marks on the pelvic fins suggesting their origins are from Borneo. The Sumatran Clown Loaches have completely red pelvic fins and are less common, at least in my area.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1633

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
This is an article about fish exported from Asia. It claims Clown Loaches are one of the fish that are heavily exported.

Species in the trade

The wild-caught species currently traded can be approximately divided into three categories on the basis of how important they are to the trade.

Category I are the so-called "bread and butter" species are those which are very popular in the trade and are caught and exported in large numbers. Examples of wild-caught bread-and-butter species from Southeast Asia are:

clown loach (Botia macracanthus),
eel-loaches (Pangio spp.),
chocolate gouramy (Sphaerichthys osphromenoides),
pearl gouramy (Trichogaster leerii),
harlequin rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha),
flying fox (Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus),
lancer (Luciosoma setigerum),
two-spot catfish (Mystus bimaculatus) and
glass catfish (Kryptopterus bicirrchus).

http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/articles/dbs/aquarium_more.html

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ewurm, did you seen the articles about the Botia almorhae and Chromobotia macracanthus hybrid?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
davo;2228622; said:
ewurm, did you seen the articles about the Botia almorhae and Chromobotia macracanthus hybrid?
:drool:

Link me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store