Colombian pictus catfish photos

MultipleTankSyndrome

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Quite a bit rarer than the large-spotted Peruvian form. Not many photos at all available, so to that end, here's some photos of Gray Fullbuster the Colombian pictus catfish (and some clown loach photobombers).

MultipleTankSyndrome

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
That is correct, yes.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Tentatively made the decision to add 5 more pictus catfish to my existing 473 liter. They will be returned if there is territorial aggression, as I was rightfully warned about the possibility of during both the purchases of Gray and these.

Nonetheless, if there's no aggression, they'll be designated as Gray's clones (analogous to the ones in the actual show).

The purchase of Gray's clones came with some fortunate and interesting things. When I went to Big Al's to place an order for spotted pictus, the order was already coming in at the time I had asked, and I was told it was from Colombia. What luck, as not only was it perfectly timed, but the Colombian pictus catfish is my favorite variation.

They were available for sale in time for today's Boxing Day deals, which allowed me to get 20% off. But something rather unexpected ended up being the case: even though they came from Colombia, Gray's clones match the Peruvian morph much better. Their pattern scheme falls within line of the Peruvian pictus in that the spots are large and few, as opposed to the Colombian where there are many, smaller spots.
I have no idea how close to the Peruvian border with Colombia that they were caught, although one of the morphs imported from the alleged place of the other is nonetheless interesting.

(Just as in the original images, there are loach photobombers here. However, these aren't clown loaches - the photobomber here is the new black kuhli loach I also got today in order to increase my shoal from 5 to 6).

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Wow!!! When i go buy Khuli loaches from a store they come 1”long and as thin as a piece of string, not already fully grown. Hence my main concerns of keeping them with Pictus cats.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Yeah, they had a mix of sizes available. I do think that was fortunate, since not only are they at less risk of beoming pictus lunch at a larger size, they're more sturdy and adapt much better to captivity than the younger, smaller imports.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store