Colombian pictus catfish photos

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thank you for the compliment!

Not going to lie, I'm hoping all Gray's clones will top out at only 13 cm instead of 20 cm (which Gray has thankfully). There are more fish a 13 cm pictus can be trusted with, and more overall space.

But good luck finding a big one.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Another less-than-joyous update: as much as I like these catfish, I feel it is best to rehome them. It seems that despite a tank resembling their habitat, good food, good water quality, no nasty tank mates, and plenty of space, they are unsatisfied with something, as shown by their almost continuous glass surfing at one end of the tank. This was not present before they had to be temporarily moved to my 2nd 473 liter because of a leak, but since then it has been so.

I have a couple of very long and tedious theories about it, which are too long to explain here fully, but in short encompass individual fish dissatisfaction with the unchangeable outside environment of the room the tank is in.
To test this one and hopefully circumvent it, I will get 5-6 more after the existing dissatisfied fish are rehomed. If they appear satisfied I will keep them and update this thread, but if they don't, they will be returned to the pet store and replaced with more black kuhli loaches. Maybe I might put my dwarf chain loaches into the 473 liter instead of the 110 liter to take their place too.

I may also try them again if I can follow through with the possible future upgrade to a custom-built 244x61 cm footprint 681 liter. If I get that tank, it's outside environment will be somewhat different to the existing tank due to being on the floor with no stand, which will hopefully be a reasonable outside environment for pictus catfish.

Nonetheless, this was very unexpected. I hope the place I rehome the existing catfish to satisfies them, and for the immediate retrying (or at least the upgrade, if it happens) to result in satisfied catfish.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
What a pity, pictus are great. I would like some.

I think maybe, the reason that your pictus are not happy, is that they feel slighted. They are quite aware that you prefer loaches to other bottom dwellers.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thanks. If I lived in Thailand and you were going to put them in a tank at least 1.83m long with no bichirs or cichlids, I'd give them to you. But I don't and I lack the skills to ship them, sadly.

Seriously doubt they have any reason to feel slighted. They rank as my number 1 favorite, only sharing that spot with clown loaches.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Really don't want to make this post but I might have to put Gray down ?, I'll not go into why as I'll be even sadder if I do.

Help has been sought and fixing the problem is currently being attempted. If it can't be fixed, then........
Gray has now been put down ?
It's very unfortunate but I am not sad (thank goodness!) because I believe it was the right thing to do.

The rest are being sought a new home, as per what I said earlier. Really hoping that when I try again with new ones, they'll be satisfied.

Reactions: Midwater

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Happy update! The remaining 3-4* appear to have gotten over whatever it was they were un-satisfied about.
As per another thread I made, I'll see if I can further increase that satisfaction by adding a dark background.

The kuhli loaches have been moved from this tank because the clown loaches were trying to eat them, but surprisingly not one of these pictus has even layed a whisker on them! I would have expected the pictus to be the ones attempting to eat the kuhlis if anyone was, as per Dave's concerns!
Absolute shocker. But maybe it's a good thing too, since they can probably be trusted to leave young future horseface loaches alone based on how they left the kuhlis alone.

Bought some small scale archerfish, and they're another fish the pictus leave alone. No interaction at all.

I'm still not sure which one of these to name the original Gray**, the decision will be made as they grow. Hopefully they will be with me for at least 22 years, like the crooked-spined individual Milingu bought in 2000.
That will also give me a chance to try and have the oldest pictus catfish on this website, and to see whether Gray and clones permanently lose whiskers, develop crooked spines, and hide the whole day like Milingu's when they reach the 22 mark.

And they're looking more Colombian as they grow, spots pretty small.

*Why 3-4, you may ask? I thought there were 5 left, did any die?
None died, but 1 or 2 are what I believe to be Pimelodus maculatus, one of the several 'exotic' pictus catfish that get much larger than P. pictus. I don't believe my tanks (even my future custom 2.42m x 77cm footprint 681 liter) are large enough for this species.
A few more P. pictus will be picked up from the pet store to make up for the P. maculatus, which I'm looking to rehome because of the tank size issue but I know of no one nearby who has a large enough tank. Which brings me to another thing mentioned earlier.

Midwater Midwater , your 3000 liter tank seems like it would be a great home for these P. maculatus. If there will be no bichirs or cichlids, and if you are willing to pay the shipping (which my cousin demanded must be the case if I ship them, lol), I can send them your way as I figured out how to ship.
Since you wanted pictus catfish, would you be interested in these exotics? I'll put pictures of them when I can get them.

**Recently I learned that reality isn't real. This means that having to put Gray down was nothing more than an illusion that never actually happened!
Best consolation possible for it IMO.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Happy update! The remaining 3-4* appear to have gotten over whatever it was they were un-satisfied about.
As per another thread I made, I'll see if I can further increase that satisfaction by adding a dark background.

The kuhli loaches have been moved from this tank because the clown loaches were trying to eat them, but surprisingly not one of these pictus has even layed a whisker on them! I would have expected the pictus to be the ones attempting to eat the kuhlis if anyone was, as per Dave's concerns!
Absolute shocker. But maybe it's a good thing too, since they can probably be trusted to leave young future horseface loaches alone based on how they left the kuhlis alone.

Bought some small scale archerfish, and they're another fish the pictus leave alone. No interaction at all.

I'm still not sure which one of these to name the original Gray**, the decision will be made as they grow. Hopefully they will be with me for at least 22 years, like the crooked-spined individual Milingu bought in 2000.
That will also give me a chance to try and have the oldest pictus catfish on this website, and to see whether Gray and clones permanently lose whiskers, develop crooked spines, and hide the whole day like Milingu's when they reach the 22 mark.

And they're looking more Colombian as they grow, spots pretty small.

*Why 3-4, you may ask? I thought there were 5 left, did any die?
None died, but 1 or 2 are what I believe to be Pimelodus maculatus, one of the several 'exotic' pictus catfish that get much larger than P. pictus. I don't believe my tanks (even my future custom 2.42m x 77cm footprint 681 liter) are large enough for this species.
A few more P. pictus will be picked up from the pet store to make up for the P. maculatus, which I'm looking to rehome because of the tank size issue but I know of no one nearby who has a large enough tank. Which brings me to another thing mentioned earlier.

Midwater Midwater , your 3000 liter tank seems like it would be a great home for these P. maculatus. If there will be no bichirs or cichlids, and if you are willing to pay the shipping (which my cousin demanded must be the case if I ship them, lol), I can send them your way as I figured out how to ship.
Since you wanted pictus catfish, would you be interested in these exotics? I'll put pictures of them when I can get them.

**Recently I learned that reality isn't real. This means that having to put Gray down was nothing more than an illusion that never actually happened!
Best consolation possible for it IMO.
mate you overthink things way to much.

Reactions: Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Thank you M MultipleTankSyndrome , glad you are thinking about me.

I don't think it is practical to send them.

Occasionally I can find some blue jumper pims, or ornatus, or similar. I might get some of them.

I'll put pictures of them when I can get them.
Oh yes.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
You're very welcome!
That's just fine, I would also avoid getting shipped fish if I could for practicality reasons. I hope you get good pictus catfish, be they blue jumper, ornate, or other.

As for Friller2009's overthinking: Better over than under I say! What you have thought of that's not useful can just be ditched, unlike underthinking where you may miss a good idea.
I like to think things very well, so my standards for overthinking are not that anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store