Colunmaris is a force to be reckoned with.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Columnaris exists in all freshwater pond and aquarium water so the best strategy is to keep water quality high and other stressors low (fighting, etc.). Early identification and treatment is key. It's not particularly resistant to antibiotics as it's still sensitive to a lot of old drugs such as tetracycline.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Columnaris exists in all freshwater pond and aquarium water
All? While I agree that the best strategy is to keep water quality high and reduce any/all other stressors, the same could be said about most pathogens found in aquaculture, and the fish that are potentially exposed to them. If you read the link above they clearly state that there are still a lot of unknowns regarding this bacteria, and they list the various conditions it can survive in. I don't recall ever reading any scientific literature that states it exists in all freshwater pond and aquarium water. Clearly there are ways to eradicate it, Duane gave one such example. (bleach) The authors give other more fish friendly ways to treat. (chemical agents, vaccination, salt etc)

One thing that is clear, the ability to adhere is a prerequisite for the
successful colonization of the host tissue. This typically takes place within the gills, so using the angle of competitive exclusion via adding probiotics to ones water column could prove to be another very effective manner in which to add to the low/no stress strategy. I've been doing this for several years now.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
squint, that "thesis" was written by a student. A student who has gleaned the majority of their information from a number of the top researchers in this area, such as the one whose paper that I linked to that involved Annemie Decostere, and was written post this thesis.

I think what that student was attempting to say, or at the least was relating to, was that total eradication of this pathogen from commercial aquaculture facilities, such as the catfish farms in their area, was next to impossible. I would agree.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Genome Sequence of the Fish Pathogen Flavobacterium columnare ATCC 49512

"Flavobacterium columnare is considered ubiquitous in the warm water environment, and it is the etiological agent of columnaris disease, which affects cultured, wild, and ornamental fish throughout the world (2, 7, 11)."

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
While columnaris is ubiquitous in all natural environments (ponds etc), it can be kept out of the aquarium environment by properly quarantining all new inhabitants, (I do this for at least a couple months or more). If infected, the stress of transport, new water and new digs, will usually bring it on in an infected individual quite quickly.
And to me, euthanizing that new fish, or group is a very reasonable alternative to what happens next, if not done. (time, the stress to the aquarist, and expense of treatment, especially if it spreads to an entire fish room)
If the fish is a asymptomatic reservoir and carrier well "Everything is F...ked" Walter sobchak, the Big Lewbowski

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
How do you disinfect new fish? Zebrafish laboratories dealing with Mycobacterium perform a surface disinfection with bleach but with embryos as no adult fish could survive bleaching. Also, once fish develop working digestive tracts and gills, surface disinfection is ineffective.

Of course, they do this because Mycobacterium is untreatable. In contrast, Columnaris is sensitive to many antibiotics.

Culling to prevent disease outbreak should only be considered if:

1) the pathogen is difficult to treat or untreatable and
2) you have a reasonable chance of eliminating it from your tanks and
3) you have a reasonable chance of avoiding its reintroduction with future stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store