Concern about Petco and ID theft...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Tbh when I see a post that’s long I don’t really read them I have no idea what’s going on other than you’re tripping out on your number being used. I mean I was trying to be friendly and offer you my discounts if you want it lol. Identity theft goes much more than someone using solely a phone number. I think you’re ranting a tad much on this issue. In order for someone to wipe out your bank account they must be close to you, know your personal information. I mean I write hundreds maybe thousands of check annually that have my bank and routing number, I’ve never had an issue, my bank would text me on any suspicious activity and if they didn’t the transaction would be reversed
I can't tell by the tone of an internet message your intent..its a fault of text messages. I too have been misunderstood when I made a joke that was taken the wrong way.

Before leaving fast responses please read content of post. The bank account situation was a teller that had nothing to do with me. In an agency of thousands of people. Of course they had my information since they handle transactions. (??) I found out because I went to make a withdrawal for a holiday weekend and had a balance of zero. The teller made a crafty move removing the money late after receipts were done for the day., thinking it wouldn't show 'till monday but it would be replaced (and no one would know). It might have worked had I not tried a late withdrawal. They randomly chose my account to clean out. That was a fluke. The teller was fired, as I said.

Most normal people 'trip' when they discover their number has been used out of nowhere with no context. It was more annoying than anything else...its not like I threw a tantrum in the store. Two key things here...I have the name of the person who used my number. Also they attached their name to my account. I had the store double check the number to see if maybe the area code was wrong. Nope.

What I don't get is why Petco didn't see the discrepancy in the records. Even the manager admitted the flaws in their system making it too easy for anybody to walk in with any information to open an account.

Petco gave me a new account number. The old one sure vanished quick when questions came up.

Last edited:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I kinda do the same. I just use my phone number, but just change one of the digits. This is why I hardly get telemarketing calls. Whereas, my wife uses her actual number, and get telemarketing calls all the time.
I think you can call that national "do not call" list but it only lasts for a certain amount of time then you have to call them again. Some companies have that option but it's the long way to do it.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Was your money reimbursed? Plus interest?
I still get phone calls for the last person who had my number before me. This has been going on over five years now. In some cases it is the same somewhat forgetful lady that calls over and over. It hasn't stuck that the fellow has a new number and she has it.
They used to put your old number in storage not to be used for 2 years...not anymore.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Was your money reimbursed? Plus interest?
I still get phone calls for the last person who had my number before me. This has been going on over five years now. In some cases it is the same somewhat forgetful lady that calls over and over. It hasn't stuck that the fellow has a new number and she has it.
They used to put your old number in storage not to be used for 2 years...not anymore.
The credit union replaced the funds immediately so I was able to have cash. Some nice friends at work offered me money but I let them know everything was cool.

I had a couple of old numbers that were funny. A guy would call me every night from a phone booth and pleaded for "Cheryl". After the 10th try I think he finally believed I wasn't Cheryl. Another was a guy from prison who had his father call me...he was looking to hook up with a lady that lived in my condo back in the 70s! We were on conference call and had a good laugh. We had the same name! I told them that was before my time but the coincidence was wild we had the same name and lived in the same building decades apart.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
The credit union replaced the funds immediately so I was able to have cash. Some nice friends at work offered me money but I let them know everything was cool.

I had a couple of old numbers that were funny. A guy would call me every night from a phone booth and pleaded for "Cheryl". After the 10th try I think he finally believed I wasn't Cheryl. Another was a guy from prison who had his father call me...he was looking to hook up with a lady that lived in my condo back in the 70s! We were on conference call and had a good laugh. We had the same name! I told them that was before my time but the coincidence was wild we had the same name and lived in the same building decades apart.
Those coincidences do happen despite the many people we live with in a city.
I had the same problem convincing one of this fellow's girl friends by text (she only communicated by text) that I was not him, and why wasn't I showing up for dates at the water park? She kept thinking he was playing jokes on her. I even called her and she thought he was disguising his voice. It would have been funny if it wasn't get annoying and I try to be a patient guy. Then his whole gang would drunk call me weekends and try to get me out when I was with my own (nice--of course--Lol) gang. I even got repeated automated calls from Fred Meyer pharmacy that his prescriptions were ready. It took me a few calls to the Fred Meyer pharmacy to get that straightened out, because I thought it was important for him...who ever he is.

A text with a brief bio of me and a firm assertion that I wasnt him finally reluctantly convinced the girlfriend I wasn't him. She still sounded like she thought I was him. Maybe our text communication mannerisms were similar. Maybe not because I remember now she did say I didn't sound like myself (him). Ha ha. Well duh, there you go.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018

Who were you on the conference call with him and his father, or him and his old girlfriend? That is pretty funny though-- the coincidence with his girlfriend's name.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Not to change the subject, but going along with weird calls.... has anyone else gotten text from someone else but with the same number as a person in your call list?
I thought it was a joke at first, but the same number, first being my boyfriend at the time and second being his number but clearly a chick texting showed up on my phone. So two different text conversations under the same name and number. This was back when texting was newer so not as advanced as it is now.
It was so weird. She was an older lady, well older then I was since I was a teen at that time. She was so pissed asking why I had her boyfriends number and was texting and calling him. I was so confused. I was texting my boyfriend at the same time and he was just as confused as I was. He probably thought I was going crazy. Lol
It took a few hours, but I finally convinced her I didn’t know her boyfriend(completely different name then my actual bf) and even different state. The really weird thing was the number she was texting wasn’t even my number! I don’t understand how that’s possible, but it was very odd.

I’ve also been yelled at by a random person for taking some guys phone and not selling my tv to him. That was fun.

And I know my mom, sisters, and I have all called and text the poor stranger that has my brothers old number.
He parted from the family for many years so we didn’t know he dropped the number. So we all called and text on holidays and his birthday. Finally the guy answered my mom to let her know that those messages weren’t going to the right person. She ended up talking to him for over an hour. Lol poor guy.

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Yes well thank you. I can't find the package tracking number, so
Not to change the subject, but going along with weird calls.... has anyone else gotten text from someone else but with the same number as a person in your call list?
I thought it was a joke at first, but the same number, first being my boyfriend at the time and second being his number but clearly a chick texting showed up on my phone. So two different text conversations under the same name and number. This was back when texting was newer so not as advanced as it is now.
It was so weird. She was an older lady, well older then I was since I was a teen at that time. She was so pissed asking why I had her boyfriends number and was texting and calling him. I was so confused. I was texting my boyfriend at the same time and he was just as confused as I was. He probably thought I was going crazy. Lol
It took a few hours, but I finally convinced her I didn’t know her boyfriend(completely different name then my actual bf) and even different state. The really weird thing was the number she was texting wasn’t even my number! I don’t understand how that’s possible, but it was very odd.

I’ve also been yelled at by a random person for taking some guys phone and not selling my tv to him. That was fun.

And I know my mom, sisters, and I have all called and text the poor stranger that has my brothers old number.
He parted from the family for many years so we didn’t know he dropped the number. So we all called and text on holidays and his birthday. Finally the guy answered my mom to let her know that those messages weren’t going to the right person. She ended up talking to him for over an hour. Lol poor guy.
Hello, I don't know what was happening with the stranger girl. Perhaps because there are so many people now, even when texting was starting out, occassionally something gets cross circuited and two people are assigned the same number. Or because the system was new, not all the cliches were ironed out yet. But I have gotten texts from an unknown person from an unknown number and assumed it was like a wrong number. This was on my other phone that the number has been the same for a long time.
The experience with your brother's old number is rather haunting. So sorry for you and your family.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yes well thank you. I can't find the package tracking number, soHello, I don't know what was happening with the stranger girl. Perhaps because there are so many people now, even when texting was starting out, occassionally something gets cross circuited and two people are assigned the same number. Or because the system was new, not all the cliches were ironed out yet. But I have gotten texts from an unknown person from an unknown number and assumed it was like a wrong number. This was on my other phone that the number has been the same for a long time.
The experience with your brother's old number is rather haunting. So sorry for you and your family.
I chalked it up to a weird glitch. It was just odd that she was texting one number and the number that was showing up on my phone was my bfs number. Not even close to the same digits. Haha. So odd, but I’ve learned when it comes to electronics weird things happen all the time.

I’m happy to say my brother rejoined the family a couple years ago. It was out of the blue but most everyone was thrilled to have him back:) He is free spirited and a rolling stone. I just hope he will continue to stay in touch from now on.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Who were you on the conference call with him and his father, or him and his old girlfriend? That is pretty funny though-- the coincidence with his girlfriend's name.
Actually the guy's dad was pitchman...he wanted to assure me they weren't cranks and provided id! So then pops starts talking like I know his son, and how his son has changed, and so forth. I'm like WHOAH, wrong person! It was a hoot. Finally the son comes on and apologizes saying nope, he can tell I'm not the original. But we all chatted for a bit and talked about the city.

In my area women would give out phone numbers to guys who pestered them at clubs just to get rid of them. Sometimes that random number is yours!

Now the wildest call I got was a woman warning me to say away from her man. I told her she could have him, whoever the hell he was!

Most annoying call was a guy who kept dialing me every holiday, straight from Thanksgiving to christmas. I ended up getting call intercept (no longer available) to put an end to it. Sometimes he'd call fifteen times a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store