Concerns Regarding a Used Tank

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hey guys, It's me again! So in the past week, I was at the pet market and I saw a huge tank sitting outside on the ground. I asked the shop that was by it if it was for sale, And it was only 80 USD!! I had to have it. So 80 USD for the tank and 50 for the half lorry. It measured 87''L * 28''W * 24''H, and holds about 240 US Gal (a little under a thousand liters). For only 130 USD I don't think that was a bad deal.

But I have some concerns. When it arrived home, I laid some pieces of lumber that were shorter that the width of the tank(you'll understand from the pics) so that the tank is raised from the floor when we want to take it inside(it is currently outside). Now I have only filled the tank to 1/4, can the bottom panel take more pressure?

Also how do I know if the silicone is still good? It seems to be strong and it's not dry or flakey. It is a bit stained in some areas but it is holding up.

Do I have to fill it all the way to test it? Because that to me would be a waste of water. 240 gallons will go down the drains for nothing, and I can't store the water for plants or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerChick5567

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you don't fill it you may be frustrated after you set it up with gravel,sand , driftwood, etc and it starts leaking from the mid or upper sides. Find lumber that will be long enough for both corners for the aquarium to sit on no matter the amount of water you place in it.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
We all hate wasting water on a test fill but it is really advised. Corners are basically the must have supports rule. On long tanks one in the middle applies too.

Reactions: tlindsey

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Thanks guys, I have placed about 5 pieces equally spaced under the tank when it first arrived (but they are all shorter than the tank). The tank is already 1/4 way full and even if I empty it, I cant lift the side to put more lumber, it's made of at least 10mm glass.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
So guys I just loosely slid 2 more pieces of lumber at the very ends, I couldn't find longer ones. I hope that they would help. I filled it 3/4 way full. I will continue in the morning (it's 12:20AM now)

Guys am I alone or is there anyone else that feels bad when test filling tanks?

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I wish I didn't do the test fill.....
So I topped it off by 9am, I come 2 hours later, and the freaking bottom panel cracked and the tank is half empty...
I am pretty frustrated now, the test should have made things easier but instead it screwed the whole project.

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
I wish I didn't do the test fill.....
So I topped it off by 9am, I come 2 hours later, and the freaking bottom panel cracked and the tank is half empty...
I am pretty frustrated now, the test should have made things easier but instead it screwed the whole project.

That sucks. Not sure why, but I cant see any of your pictures. only ones that work for me are on your first post.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
That sucks. Not sure why, but I cant see any of your pictures. only ones that work for me are on your first post.
Try right clicking and opening it in a new tab and tell me if that works or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store