Conflicting information on tank mates

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
From my experiance (never had discus), cichlids over all will/can pick on large bottom dwellers. I'm sure its a natural thing to do in the wild as large bottom dwellers will eat you, your offspring, your neighbors, whatever they want, when they want. So the picking on in a vast area would just make the bottom dweller leave and there for little damage. In our systems they are locked together. I have seen this with bichirs, and large catfish that dont or cant hide. Angels do it, Africans do it, most of the sa/ca that ive had ive seen to it. Most of the time once the fish moves they stop.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Mitchellrliu

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2015
I keep my 2 stingrays with 5 discus. Rays are still babies so it doesnt hurt the discus for now, Im going to relocate the rays when they get big. Discus are about 4” and they never hurt or even show interests in the rays.

I find the discus compete for food with the rays whenever i feed them with frozen worms, and discus are losing.

But so far so good and i love the combination of rays and discus.

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
So a quick update, I gave it a go.

Ray's started pinning and eating heads/eyes so they have had to go. Shame as I lost a fair few quid re selling them.

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
What size were the rays and discus? How big of a tank? Were the rays wild or captive bred? Thanks for posting the results.

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
What size were the rays and discus? How big of a tank? Were the rays wild or captive bred? Thanks for posting the results.
The Ray's are captive bred mini marbles, discus ranged from 4-6 inch.
Tank size 72x30x30

Reactions: Canoeist

Castexi

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
I see you said you aren't interested in silver dollars, but have you looked at some of the cooler variants? Blackberries or red hooks maybe? Alternate easy and "cheaper" fish could be as simple as tinfoil barbs. I'm not really a community fish kinda' guy, but I do like specific fish and have learned that many of the ones I really love can cohab very well. A lot of it is trial and error - if you're really set on discus, I'd give them another try. I've seen it work long term before.

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
I have added 7 silver dollars now so will see how I get on with them. They seem nice and active so they may be alright actually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store