Confused New tank owner

AAI

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2022
Hello, i have a question here. I just got a new tank with 1 tiger oscar, 1 albino oscar, 2 albino pleco, 2 african jewel cichlid, 1 giant red tail gourami & 2 black pearl parrot in a 96gallon tank. messy fish i heard is oscars and pleco? how often do i need to gravel vacuum?

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
With that bioload, clean the substrate everyday, with 100% water change. I would get used to that regime since the tank is too small long term for adult size. It's good for life for:

1 oscar

or

2 blood parrots with small fish

or

2 jewel cichlis with other small fish

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Pretty much all of those fish count under the super messy category, with most (Oscars, rtgg, pleco depending on species) getting far too large to fit in a 90, let alone be supported in that size tank.
You’d basically have to do daily 100% water changes to keep it stable and livable.
My recommendation would be to pick the parrots or jewels, and rehome everything else, building the tank around the pair.

AAI

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2022
Yeah was told later on i needed another tank as those fishes wil get bigger as it is now 3 inches to 5 inches now.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Still a lot of fish for a 96g tank. You have around 6 months to get a decent tank (300+ US gallons) with at least 36" wide (front to back) dimensions.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Moving forward, gravelling the vacuum is the least of your problems with that stock.

I'm curious, was this purchase one of those deals you see now and again where someone's selling a tank but you have to take the fish that are already in it too, so basically you've been lumbered with a poor stocking choice from the previous owner?

.....Or, did you buy this tank brand new and the stocking is completely your own doing?

Either way, it seems to me that research wasn't high on the agenda.

You don't have a lot of time before things become unmanageable, you need to make some swift decisions.

Personally, I'd get rid of the lot and just keep a solo oscar. Yes, that's how bad your current stocking is.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Melwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2022
What size is the tank ( LWH)and what size are the fishes?

Melwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2022
Lol , sorry just noticed ur replies above.

Ok chill bro, they need a larger size tank to have hiding space till ur ready to have a big tank u can keep the 96 BARE BOTTOM (question: what filter are you using) do 15% water changes Monday Wednesday and Friday and on Sunday do a 70 % water change (use seachem prime and stability ) once in a month clean your filter if it's working great or do it twice a month ( only when ur doing 15% water change. Keep one medium size driftwood cuz the red tail giant gourami really needs hiding space or it will become very agressive. That all bro u can do these things until the fish grow ( they will grow slow in an overstocked tank) and ur ready with a big size tank.

Happy fish keeping . Let me know about ur filters so I can tell u how often u have to clean them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, i have a question here. I just got a new tank with 1 tiger oscar, 1 albino oscar, 2 albino pleco, 2 african jewel cichlid, 1 giant red tail gourami & 2 black pearl parrot in a 96gallon tank. messy fish i heard is oscars and pleco? how often do i need to gravel vacuum?
Welcome aboard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store