Constipated Bichir?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Ok, will do. I’ve never used sand in any of my tanks so I appreciate the advice. ?Bichir’s are the best and I will be bummed if I lose him. When he’s full grown should I upgrade him to a bigger tank or do you think 75 gallons in enough?
Lol can never have a tank too big. 75g should be enough for a single bichir I would think, pretty certain they only get to around 12-14in. 75g should be big enough to house 3 of em I would think.
Btw does he have any tank mates?

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Lol np, just be warned the tank is probably gonna be extremely dirty looking for the next few hours but it's worth it.
O also when ya go to add sand to the tank make certain to soak the sand in a bucket of tank water (not tap) first so it doesn't all float and cloud the water as much, and make certain ya only have an inch of sand at the bottom of the tank at most, otherwise ya run the risk of ammonia pockets forming in the sand, preferably do half an inch layer at the bottom. It's always better to have less sand then more.
As long as you move the sand around regularly or leave it be completely you shouldn't have issues. The problem is when it's moved around infrequently organic debris gets trapped under the sand and rots and could cause hydrogen sulfide to form if the sand bed is deep enough. Hydrogen sulfide is toxic. As long as the sand bed is 3" or less you don't have alot to worry about. If you are worried about it gravel vac half the tank once a month to move the sand around or stir it up weekly or whatever. I've used sand of various depths for more years then I care to admit without seeing or having a tank ending gas bubble. There was the time I let a 100g Rubbermaid container half filled with sand (that's like 20"s ) after I broke my salt system down sit for about a year with the sand and about an inch of water over it. That smelled terrible when I finally cleaned it out. Couldn't tell you if it was hydrogen sulfide or not. That deep sand bed ran on my system for about 8 years.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
As long as you move the sand around regularly or leave it be completely you shouldn't have issues. The problem is when it's moved around infrequently organic debris gets trapped under the sand and rots and could cause hydrogen sulfide to form if the sand bed is deep enough. Hydrogen sulfide is toxic. As long as the sand bed is 3" or less you don't have alot to worry about. If you are worried about it gravel vac half the tank once a month to move the sand around or stir it up weekly or whatever. I've used sand of various depths for more years then I care to admit without seeing or having a tank ending gas bubble. There was the time I let a 100g Rubbermaid container half filled with sand (that's like 20"s ) after I broke my salt system down sit for about a year with the sand and about an inch of water over it. That smelled terrible when I finally cleaned it out. Couldn't tell you if it was hydrogen sulfide or not. That deep sand bed ran on my system for about 8 years.
Yeah when I set up my first sand bottom tank I had the problem of not moving the sand around often enough and ended up having those pockets form, granted to took care of it immediately and lost no fish to it but that was the first and last time I kept more then 4in of sand at the bottom of a tank. The deepest I keep it now is 2in and that's only in my planted tank otherwise all the other sanded tanks have been only half an inch deep and I never seem to have problems with it. Planing on making a dirted plant tank this summer so that's another tank I'll be adding sand to.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok, will do. I’ve never used sand in any of my tanks so I appreciate the advice. ?Bichir’s are the best and I will be bummed if I lose him. When he’s full grown should I upgrade him to a bigger tank or do you think 75 gallons in enough?
A group of 4 captive bred Senegal Bichir can easily live in a 75 gallon. Wild caught Senegal Bichir from Lake Turkana in Africa grow larger and require a larger aquarium. I personally have a group of 3 cb Senegalus in a 55 gallon.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Get silica sand mesh size #20. It's heavy enough to not be sucked up by the filters. Pool filter sand is about this size.

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
Lol can never have a tank too big. 75g should be enough for a single bichir I would think, pretty certain they only get to around 12-14in. 75g should be big enough to house 3 of em I would think.
Btw does he have any tank mates?
He currently does not have any tank mates and seems very comfortable and at home in his 75g. He’s loves to swim and is a very active bichir so I was thinking about getting him a longer tank in the future and another bichir friend. Lol

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
Yeah when I set up my first sand bottom tank I had the problem of not moving the sand around often enough and ended up having those pockets form, granted to took care of it immediately and lost no fish to it but that was the first and last time I kept more then 4in of sand at the bottom of a tank. The deepest I keep it now is 2in and that's only in my planted tank otherwise all the other sanded tanks have been only half an inch deep and I never seem to have problems with it. Planing on making a dirted plant tank this summer so that's another tank I'll be adding sand to.
He still hasn’t had a bowel movement although it looks like it’s slowly coming out. Is it safe to help him remove the poop or feed him peas to help him pass it or is there really nothing we can to do. Sorry, these are such weird questions. Lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
He still hasn’t had a bowel movement although it looks like it’s slowly coming out. Is it safe to help him remove the poop or feed him peas to help him pass it or is there really nothing we can to do. Sorry, these are such weird questions. Lol
If it's coming out just let be. You can offer peas .

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store