Construction and moving

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I live in NY and I bought a house in Georgia a couple of years ago and I'm planning on making my permanent residence in Georgia. There are lot variables I have to work through but the ones I would like advice on is moving the fish and if it's safe to have construction in your home with fish?

Moving the fish my plan was to drive them myself. I've made the trip on numerous occasions before, and it takes me around 14 hours or so. The plan was I'd move them in some 40-gallon watertight totes I purchased. Cut a hole in the top so I can have a sponge filter and some water circulation/aeration in the totes and drive straight through the 14 or so hours. Is it a viable plan? Any suggestions on a safer alternative or changes to my plan.

As for the construction, I'm doing some major remodeling and of course worry about the effect on the fish. Is it possible to have construction and it be safe? Or relatively so? For example, if I covered the tanks with a tarp or made sure they were in a room where there was no construction and do what I can to seal around the door? Or alternatively have the tanks setup and cycling while construction is going on before moving the fish? Any suggestions I haven't considered?

I know optimally when it comes to the remodeling it'd be better to wait to be as safe as possible but time is a issue for me. If I have no choice I'll wait but I'm just trying to get some ideas so I can properly weigh my options.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I live in NY and I bought a house in Georgia a couple of years ago and I'm planning on making my permanent residence in Georgia. There are lot variables I have to work through but the ones I would like advice on is moving the fish and if it's safe to have construction in your home with fish?

Moving the fish my plan was to drive them myself. I've made the trip on numerous occasions before, and it takes me around 14 hours or so. The plan was I'd move them in some 40-gallon watertight totes I purchased. Cut a hole in the top so I can have a sponge filter and some water circulation/aeration in the totes and drive straight through the 14 or so hours. Is it a viable plan? Any suggestions on a safer alternative or changes to my plan.

As for the construction, I'm doing some major remodeling and of course worry about the effect on the fish. Is it possible to have construction and it be safe? Or relatively so? For example, if I covered the tanks with a tarp or made sure they were in a room where there was no construction and do what I can to seal around the door? Or alternatively have the tanks setup and cycling while construction is going on before moving the fish? Any suggestions I haven't considered?

I know optimally when it comes to the remodeling it'd be better to wait to be as safe as possible but time is a issue for me. If I have no choice I'll wait but I'm just trying to get some ideas so I can properly weigh my options.
Like you mentioned above, I think having the tanks and stuff set up before you move the fish is the best option. All you will have to do is plop (nicely) your fish into the tank when you get to your destination. As for keeping the fish safe, a separate room is a great idea. I think a big problem when they get there is the noise. Assuming there will be a lot of hammering and drilling and all of that fun stuff, you may want to consider finding a way to keep the room quiet or at least muffle the noise. Perhaps a white noise machine with a low water sound or something to hide the work noises? I feel like it would be a major stressor for the fish, especially if you have flighty or shy fish.

I hope this helps, good luck on your move!

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Like you mentioned above, I think having the tanks and stuff set up before you move the fish is the best option. All you will have to do is plop (nicely) your fish into the tank when you get to your destination. As for keeping the fish safe, a separate room is a great idea. I think a big problem when they get there is the noise. Assuming there will be a lot of hammering and drilling and all of that fun stuff, you may want to consider finding a way to keep the room quiet or at least muffle the noise. Perhaps a white noise machine with a low water sound or something to hide the work noises? I feel like it would be a major stressor for the fish, especially if you have flighty or shy fish.

I hope this helps, good luck on your move!
It does help bro, thanks. I personally didn't consider the noise and vibration my thought was to isolate the tanks was to prevent all the airborne particulates from getting in the tanks. I didn't think about the stress all the banging, drilling etc. might cause so it gives me a wider perspective.

Wow, major move ahead. I can’t help with the logistics of it all, but best of luck!
Thanks Neil, it's much appreciated. it's simultaneously daunting and exciting.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
What type of construction are you considering koltsixx koltsixx ?

We tore out all the drywall from walls and ceiling in our basement spare bedroom, added studs to the block walls and then finished the room completely and it didn't seem to have any affect on the aquariums 15 foot away. We did however keep the door closed and window open with a fan blowing to the outside when removing the drywall and then finishing the new drywall and painting.

The tanks all had glass lids and most were run on sponge filters with an air pump. We may have tossed a bed sheet over the tanks in case any drywall dust got in the area.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
What type of construction are you considering koltsixx koltsixx ?

We tore out all the drywall from walls and ceiling in our basement spare bedroom, added studs to the block walls and then finished the room completely and it didn't seem to have any affect on the aquariums 15 foot away. We did however keep the door closed and window open with a fan blowing to the outside when removing the drywall and then finishing the new drywall and painting.

The tanks all had glass lids and most were run on sponge filters with an air pump. We may have tossed a bed sheet over the tanks in case any drywall dust got in the area.
I'm turning my basement into a Mother-In-Law Sweet? Downstairs already has 5 rooms and a bathroom. I was going to tear down one wall that separates the back of the house from the front to create a Kitchen, Living Room with sliding glass doors looking out to the backyard and add a second bathroom. As well as add either Central Air or Heat Pump. One room would become a dedicated Fish room with a possible half bath besides the Ful Bath I'm adding. That's the short of it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, makes me feel a little more secure in it being possibly feasible. I use glass lids as well on all my tanks, but can I ask do you usually run your tanks on sponge filters, or did you do it for the construction? I didn't think of using fans either, again thank you for the info.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sounds like a great project though quite a bit more work than we had.

Since you are adding a full and possible 1/2 bath and kitchen, it sounds as if you will be cutting up the cement floor to do the drainage? If so that adds a lot of dust and debris to the air so ventilation and personal masking (PPE equipment) is a definite must do. We wanted to relocate the floor drain 3 feet in our laundry room to be closer to the wall and I'm still finding cement dust in the oddest places despite me holding the Shop-Vac nozzle close to the floor while the BF did the cutting.

Our basement is also a walkout type about 900 sq. ft and the front of the house is full basement with no windows, one side has windows and the back is completely above ground with windows and sliding glass door. It's one large room with center posts and then a 10 x11 bedroom/fishroom, a laundry/mechanical room and a small full bath.

Actually the tanks are running HMF corner sponges but they are air driven, these are smaller 30G tanks on a rack. The larger tank is a 220G run with Eheim 2260/62 filters.

• Love
Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sounds like a great project though quite a bit more work than we had.

Since you are adding a full and possible 1/2 bath and kitchen, it sounds as if you will be cutting up the cement floor to do the drainage? If so that adds a lot of dust and debris to the air so ventilation and personal masking (PPE equipment) is a definite must do. We wanted to relocate the floor drain 3 feet in our laundry room to be closer to the wall and I'm still finding cement dust in the oddest places despite me holding the Shop-Vac nozzle close to the floor while the BF did the cutting.

Our basement is also a walkout type about 900 sq. ft and the front of the house is full basement with no windows, one side has windows and the back is completely above ground with windows and sliding glass door. It's one large room with center posts and then a 10 x11 bedroom/fishroom, a laundry/mechanical room and a small full bath.

Actually the tanks are running HMF corner sponges but they are air driven, these are smaller 30G tanks on a rack. The larger tank is a 220G run with Eheim 2260/62 filters.
Thanks, I figured it'd come in useful for when the in-laws or my sister and her kids come to visit. I'm very family oriented and this way they'd have some privacy when they stay.

Wow so you guys did the construction yourself. I wish I was knowledgeable and confident enough to do something like that myself. Very cool. I'm worried a lot about the debris which is why I'm hesitant to do it while tanks are there. I was hoping keeping the tanks in a room that would remain untouched would help but I'm still unsure. I have some commitments that are making time a huge consideration which is why I'm even considering doing the construction with the tanks there. All the tanks would be new so the lead time after ordering is part of the factors making a decision difficult for me.

That's cool that our houses are configured similarly. So, you can probably envision pretty well what I'm dealing with. One room is already setup as bedroom with an attached full bath and at the extreme opposite side of the house is setup as an office. The rooms in-between are just finished rooms and then there's a wall that separates the front of the basement from the other rooms that's unfinished and has the Breaker, Water Heater etc. It's the ;argest room. I planned on tearing the wall down if possible if I have to leave supports so be it, but the intention is to open it to the room in front of it to create a Kitchen Living Room with sliding doors leading to a walkout like you have.

It's also awesome that you're running HMF's. I've been saying for years I was going to try HMF's but never have. I figured it'd be a great way to save money on electricity and something I could play around with and customize. And your 220 is run on a Eheim 2260 and a 2262? Again Wow! Those are some beastly filters.

I'm hoping to do a 300 and two 234's on welded stands so I can put additional tanks or a sump underneath as well as four separate 75's for grow outs and sick tanks/quarantine and run a drip system.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
When we bought this house, the basement bedroom, laundry/mechanical room and the full bath were already done. The main room was also finished with drywall on the walls and ceiling and 2 exposed metal lally posts in that main room. We tore out the old carpet and eventually replaced it. We used 1 x 4 lumber, sanded, stained and installed it around the lally poles to make it look better.

When we decided to make a dedicated fish room, we knew the previous owner didn't do a good job of insulating the exterior block wall so that is why we removed the existing exterior wall drywall and ceiling. We used Drylok Latex Masonry waterproof paint on the walls that were below grade then used 1 inch Owens Corning Foamular board insulation on the walls, sealed the joints and then used 2 x 4's on the flat side to make a wall over the foam board. This allowed us to use shallow electrical boxes to run new outlets around the room, routing slots behind the 2 x 4's to run the wires.

Some pics below of what we did.

Painting the walls

100_1250.jpg

Installed foam board and pic of the ceiling
100_1261.jpg

Wood studs installed with flat edge out
100_1335.jpg

Detail of routing wire behind studs
100_1341.jpg

View of electrical box installation
100_1342.jpg

I hope this helps give you some idea of options to finishing your basement. It worked for us though we are mostly self taught in home repairs and minor construction so if you aren't comfortable doing some or any of the work, definitely consult or get help from someone you trust or is local to you.

Just to add, we did run all the electrical wiring and install ourselves but had a professional do the final hookup since we also needed to upgrade our electrical panel since we had run out of slots for the new fish room

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sounds like a wonderful project; I'm glad I'm not doing it! :)

If you are not doing the work yourself, I would suggest having a talk with the contractor regarding the possibility of fumes from adhesives, finishes, sealants, paints, etc. that may be used during the construction. The plans may call for specific types of chemicals to be used, and if the contractor is unaware of the possibility of danger to the fish you may have problems.

If it is impossible or impractical to substitute different methods for specific jobs that eliminate toxic fumes, then you should plan on covering all tanks tightly with plastic film like painter's drop cloths or something similar. Tape them tightly in place, sealing around all hoses, electrical cords, etc. and then run an airline into the airspace above the water, fed from an air pump that is kept outdoors in clean air. The incoming air will create a positive pressure in the airspace above the water, which will prevent the entrance of fumes. Obviously the air pump must be kept in a clean area free of contaminants. Depending upon the weather, you also need to be aware of possible cooling of the tank caused by cold air being pumped into the air space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store